Top Ten Tuesday | My 2022 Goals

ttt-blc

This week’s theme is ‘Books I Hope Santa Brings/Bookish Wishes’, but I’m straying away from the topic this year to share my 2022 goals with you instead!

I’m stepping into 2022 with the ultimate goal to just be happy – I think that’s something we all deserve in the wake of the panini – but there are a few things I’d like to try and do. Some of these are book-related, but most of them are things I’d like to do outside of reading…

Move out

I’m moving this goal over from 2021, as it’s something I haven’t been able to do this year and, to be honest, it was a bit of an ambitious goal when I was in my old job (which didn’t pay very well) until October. I started my current job a couple of days after my 30th birthday, though, and it pays me much better, so I’m hoping to be able to move out of my parents’ house again in the next few months!

Get a tattoo

When it comes to something permanent, I’m very indecisive. I don’t like to do anything unless I 100% want to do it, which is why I’ve never gotten a tattoo before because I’d hate to get one and then regret it. I’ve been thinking about it more and more recently, though, so I’d like to make a decision either way and, if I decide to get one, I’d like to get it booked and done this year! I always thought I’d get a book quote if I got a tattoo, but lately I’ve been thinking of getting a tattoo of the stained glass window from Beauty and the Beast of the Enchantress as the Crone.

Practice on my keyboard regularly

My parents got me a keyboard for Christmas in 2020 because I’ve always been drawn to the keyboard and piano, but with me currently living at my parents’ a lot of my things are in the attic and my keyboard is currently on top of my wardrobe, which means I keep forgetting to get it down and practice on it. I’m hoping that once I move out I’ll be able to get a stand for it and actually have a space for it, but until then I need to make more of an effort to get it down from on top of the wardrobe and use it.

Play D&D

I’ve never played D&D and I’d love to have a go at it, especially now that I have my own set of dice from work. I need to find a group I feel comfortable with and rejoice in how fun it is to play again.

Cosplay as Evie Carnahan

Cosplaying was also a 2021 goal of mine, but I haven’t been to any Cons thanks to the panorama. It’s been years and years since I cosplayed, but it’s a dream of mine to attend a con as Evie from The Mummy, who is a huge heroine of mine – plus I feel like her outfit should be fairly easy to put together!

Fill a notebook

I had so much fun writing more regularly in 2021 – especially in the first half of the year – so while I would love to finish some writing projects I’m not going to make that a goal because my job is busy and, before it’s anything else, writing should be fun. Something I’ve never done is completely fill a notebook, so I’d love to do that next year even if it’s only full of half-finished stories.

Re-read/catch up on The Old Kingdom by Garth Nix

Sabriel and Lirael are two of my most cherished books from my teenage years – those books and those heroines meant so much to me – but I still haven’t read Clariel, Goldenhand and Terciel & Elinor, and it’s been so long that I’d like to re-read the original three books before I move onto them. Unfortunately my copies of Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, Clariel and Goldenhand are in a box in my parents’ attic with a lot of my other books, so this is another project that may have to wait until I move out…

Read more Australian fantasy

I feel like I’ve mentioned my love for fantasy by Australian authors a few times this year; Garth Nix was such an important author for me growing up and Shelley Parker-Chan’s She Who Became the Sun is one of my favourite 2021 reads. I’d like to read from more Australian fantasy authors in 2022, such as Trudi Canavan, E.J. Beaton, C.S. Pacat, A.G. Slatter and Alison Goodman.

Have a go at HEMA

It wasn’t until a few years ago that I discovered Historical European Martial Arts are a thing. I’ve been thinking about trying it ever since I found out about it but I’ve always been too scared – I’m worried I’ll embarrass myself, and I tend to get very anxious around new groups – so I’d like 2022 to be the year I finally have a go.

Complete Couch to 5k

I hated PE in school and I hated running, but I want to be fitter than I am. I want to get to a stage where if there was an emergency and someone told me to run, I could. I started Couch to 5k earlier this year and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, but I’ve found it much harder to do around work when the sun rises later and sets earlier – especially as I’m surrounded by a lot of badly-lit country lanes that cars tend to come speeding around the corners of. When spring arrives, I’d like to complete this!

Do you have any goals for 2022?

18 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | My 2022 Goals

Awesome goals, Jess! I’m rooting for you! 🥳 As a big lover of tattoos I’m all for getting new ink! That tattoo idea sounds amazing and if you find the right artist to do the art justice it’ll be amazing 😍 Do you know where you wanna get it? I don’t have any bookish tattoos yet but I already have plans for several and I can’t wait to finally get them done. And I remember you mentioning trying HEMA before! It sounds super super cool and I hope that you do find a place you feel comfortable enough to try it! You totally got this 😃

2. Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies says:

All fabulous goals! HEMA sounds amazing — I never heard of it… but where do I sign up?? 🙂 Couch to 5k is a good one too (and I’ve told myself I should do this for years — also kind of inspired by reading too much dystopian fiction and realizing I need better survival skills). I hope you’re able to pursue your goals of moving out and getting a tattoo… and really, all of these! Wishing you all the best in the new year!

3. Louise says:

I’ve never seen a crone enchantress tattoo, but I think that’d be incredible! I’ve been toying with a BatB one for years but never settled on one that really spoke to me more than all the other ideas. I’d love to see a picture if you ever go for it 🙂

4. Rabeeah says:

I did Couch to 5k at least three different times during the first lockdown (getting excited about running and then getting bored again!) so I highly recommend.

I love that you have so many non-abstract goals! ‘Moving out’ was probably not a doable thing in the past couple years but hopefully you find somewhere you like next year.

5. iloveheartlandx says:

These are great goals! I’d love to move out of my parents’ house at some point but I don’t think it’s going to be feasible anytime soon given everything that’s happened with the panini. Your tattoo idea sounds really great. I had no idea HEMA was a thing but it sounds like it would be fun. I love running, I took it up during my A-Levels, basically as a form of stress relief/way to get out of the house and avoid revision and I’ve been doing it ever since. I used to be only a fair weather runner and then go to the gym in the winter but since that wasn’t possible last year, I invested in some thermals for cold weather running, which I highly recommend.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/12/21/top-ten-tuesday-347-the-christmas-movie-book-tag/

6. Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits says:

These are great goals! I also want to practice piano more in 2022… but mine comes with the added goal of getting my piano tuned before I can actually practice. (Which is why I haven’t done it yet… I haven’t wanted someone in my house long enough to tune the piano during the pandemic.) My parents gave me my childhood piano—the one I learned on—in 2019, but it needed to be tuned badly then, and I procrastinated long enough that it didn’t happen before the world shut down. I hope you have success with your 2022 goals!

My TTT: https://bookwyrmknits.com/2021/12/21/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-hope-santa-brings-2/

7. Leslie says:

These are all such wonderful goals! Moving out is hard when your job doesn’t pay as well. Especially, right now with everything being so much more expensive with Covid. I really hope you are able to do so this year! It would be a huge accomplishment, really any of your goals! I Hope you have a lovely Christmas and Happy New Year!!

8. Bobby @ Books and Babble says:

Okay, I absolutely adore that tattoo idea, I’m sure it’d look stunning! I’ve had the exact same problem with Couch to 5k, me and my brother got to about week 6 and then winter kicked in and I was just like nope, not running in the dark/cold! Hopefully I can pick it back up in 2022 as well 😊
    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and you reach all of these goals next year!