Top Ten Tuesday | Series I need to finish

This week’s theme is ‘Favourite Places to Read’, but it would be a very boring list from me! I’m either reading in bed or outside if the weather’s nice or whenever I need to go on public transport. To be honest, if I’m on my own and I have a book, I can read!

Instead this week, inspired by JonBob @ Parsecs and Parchment who was in turn inspired by Caitlin @ Realms of My Mind, I thought I’d talk about ten series I’d like to finish or catch up on! When I was looking through my Goodreads shelves I was pleasantly surprised by how many series I’m not actually in the middle of – in recent years I think I’ve become a lot better at keeping on top of series I’m into – but that’s mostly because there are a bunch of other series I haven’t even started yet…

The Falconer // The Vanishing Throne // The Fallen Kingdom

The Falconer trilogy by Elizabeth May: This series isn’t a favourite of mine, but it is a lot of fun. Considering I only have the third book left, I might as well finish it!

Dissolution // Dark Fire // Sovereign // Revelation // Heartstone // Lamentation // Tombland

The Matthew Shardlake series by C. J. Sansom: I’m pretty sure this series was the first I read set in my favourite historical era, the Tudor period, and I still admire the way Sansom brings the 16th century to life. Unfortunately I finally read Lamentation earlier this year and it was probably my least favourite book in the series so far, but I’d like to cross Tombland off my TBR!

The Bear and the Nightingale // The Girl in the Tower // The Winter of the Witch

The Winternight Trilogy by Katherine Arden: This series is so beautifully written but, I have to admit, I don’t think it’s a favourite of mine. I’m planning to borrow The Winter of the Witch from the library and finally finish the series this winter.

Sabriel // Lirael // Abhorsen // Clariel // Goldenhand // Terciel and Elinor

The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix: I have such fond memories of reading The Old Kingdom during my teens – Sabriel and Lirael are still two of the most formative fantasy heroines of my early fantasy reading years – but it’s been so long since I read them that I want to re-read the original three books before I move on to the next three. With Terciel and Elinor due out this autumn, I need to make a start on that!

The Diviners // Lair of Dreams // Before the Devil Breaks You // The King of Crows

The Diviners series by Libba Bray: This has been one of my favourite series in recent years and I’ve been putting off reading the final book because I don’t trust Bray not to hurt my favourite characters.

Gideon the Ninth // Harrow the Ninth

The Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir: I had so much fun with Gideon the Ninth last autumn, but I still haven’t got to the sequel. I’d like to get to it before more info about the next book in the series is announced!

Empire of Sand // Realm of Ash

The Books of Ambha by Tasha Suri: I really enjoyed Empire of Sand and I keep meaning to get to Realm of Ash, more of a companion novel than a sequel that follows the previous heroine’s sister, but I still haven’t got my hands on a copy.

City of Stairs // City of Blades // City of Miracles

The Divine Cities by Robert Jackson Bennett: I loved the first two books in this series – I still think City of Stairs is one of the best fantasy novels I’ve read – but for some reason I still haven’t got around to reading the third book.

A Touch Wicked // His Scandalous Lessons // Tempting the Scoundrel

Private Arrangements by Katrina Kendrick: This is actually Kendrick’s second appearance on the list – she’s the romance pseudonym of Elizabeth May – and I’ve really enjoyed this historical romance series so far, following the romances of a set of siblings in Victorian England.

Seraphina // Shadow Scale

The Seraphina duology by Rachel Hartman: I’m not usually drawn to dragon books – I know, I’m a fantasy readers who thinks dragons are only ‘fine’ – but I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Seraphina. It’s about time I read the sequel!

22 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Series I need to finish

1. Dedra @ A Book Wanderer says:

This is a great topic! Now you have me wondering how many series I’ve started and not finished. I’m a little scared of the answer, though. Haha! I hope you get to cross some of these off soon. 🙂

2. Sammie @ The Bookwyrm's Den says:

Oh gosh, just your prompt for this TTT scares me. I don’t want to think about all the series I have to finish still. xD I’m such a slacker.

I still need to read Harrow the Ninth, too! I started it, but I didn’t have time to finish it before my hold expired, so I need to give it another go soon. =/ I still need the read the entire The Diviners series. I haven’t even started it yet. xD Hope you get to finish these series one day!

3. Jen at Introverted Reader says:

Oh, man. I’m the absolute worst to start a series and never finish it! From your list, I’ve started and not finished the Shardlake and The Old Kingdom series. I have actually finished The Winternight Trilogy and the Seraphina duology. Go, me! 😀 Great topic!

4. Leslie says:

Love this! I’m inspired to make a post about this soon! Maybe when I’m not into the TTT topic, which has been happening a lot lately. Anyways, I don’t even know if I remember what all I need to finish. There’s a lot. I know the Diviners series.. I loved the first book and have them all but haven’t read them! I wonder if that should be my focus next year!

5. Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits says:

Oh man. I feel called out. 😉 There are so many series I need to finish/catch up on! And that’s not even including the ones—like the Winternight trilogy—that I haven’t started yet…

Thanks for visiting my TTT earlier!

6. masterspj says:

A great! I think my trouble with series is the commitment. What if I don’t like a book in the middle of the series? Will I ever finish it? Of course, I say this, yet I have read all 15 books in the Camp-Half Blood Chronicles. Technically, it’s 3 different series but all in the same universe, so they are often lumped together.

When you get the chance, I hope you stop by my post: https://readbakecreate.com/10-books-with-travel-locations-in-their-title/

I’m pretty terrible with finishing series’ and I don’t even think I remember half the ones I need to finish at this point—whoops! 😂 But I know I have The Winter Witch series to finish and I can’t wait to get on it! I’ll also have to check out the historical romance you’ve mentioned cos I’m intrigued! Hope you manage to finish all these series 🙂

8. Stephanie - Bookfever says:

The only series out of your list I still need to finish too is The Winternight Trilogy. I’ve only read the first one. I liked The Bear and the Nightingale but didn’t love it so that’s why I’ve been reluctant to continue.

9. Annemieke says:

I still haven’t read Old Kingdoms but I really want to. I have all the books that are out so I’m really curious! And I really love Robert Jackson Bennett’s current series so I really want to read City of Stairs. I own but haven’t started it yet. Story of my life.

10. Louise says:

I love this topic! I’m so bad at finishing series too. Although, to be fair, I actually need to START a few of the ones here 😅
    I adored Winter of the Witch, I thought it was an absolutely incredible ending to the trilogy.