Top Ten Tuesday | My Summer 2021 TBR

This week’s theme is all about the books on our summer TBR! I love reading in the garden when the weather’s nice enough, which means I can’t help gravitating towards books set in warm climates, too. It wouldn’t be a TBR for me without some fantasy, but half of my TBR for the summer is made up of some more contemporary reads, including a couple of thrillers, because I tend to enjoy contemporary most during the summer.

The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix: Halloween seems like the perfect time for horror and yet, for some reason, I always find myself in the mood for horror at this time of year. It might have something to do with the amount of teen slashers that take place over the summer. I love the sound of Hendrix’s latest novel which plays around with the final girl trope.

The Cousins by Karen M. McManus: I love YA thrillers and Karen M. McManus is one of my favourite authors in the genre. This is her latest novel, which is set during the summer, so I’m planning to borrow it from the library.

Velvet Was the Night by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: I read Moreno-Garcia’s first thriller, Untamed Shore, last year and had a great time with it, so I’m looking forward to this August release set in 1970s Mexico!

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid: Taylor Jenkins Reid is pretty much the only author who can make me care about rich people problems and this novel sounds like the ideal summer read. This is another one I’m borrowing from the library!

You and Me on Vacation by Emily Henry: I really enjoyed Beach Read last year, so I’m excited I managed to get my hands on a copy of Henry’s latest novel from NetGalley. It sounds like the perfect summer read!

The Wolf and the Woodsman by Ava Reid: To be honest this June release wasn’t really on my radar, even though I’ve seen so many people talking about it, until I read an interview with the author over on The Fantasy Hive. I immediately pre-ordered it and I’m so excited to dive in.

The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri: I’m so excited for this Indian-inspired fantasy with a central f/f romance! I read Empire of Sand last year and really enjoyed it so I’m looking forward to reading more from Tasha Suri.

She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan: I’ve been lucky enough to receive a copy of this novel from NetGalley. It’s described as Mulan meets The Song of Achilles, so I need it in my life.

Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust: I meant to read this f/f Persian-inspired YA fantasy last year and didn’t get around to it, so it’s about time I picked it up.

A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes: I have a feeling I’m going to adore this Trojan War retelling, told from the points of view of all of the women involved, I just need to pick it up. Summer feels like the ideal season for a trip to ancient Greece!

62 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | My Summer 2021 TBR

1. Dedra @ A Book Wanderer says:

What a great line up! I loved Henry and Reid’s latest books. And I love your description of how Reid is about the only author that can make you care about rich people problems! Haha. I did read Girl, Serpent, Thorn. I enjoyed the world, but didn’t love love it. I own two Grady Hendrix books, but I’ve yet to read one. I need to pick one up soon! Happy reading this summer!

2. Leah's Books says:

Awesome list! You’ve got such a good mix of books that I read and really enjoyed, and books that I seriously want to read! After Beach Read, I’m willing to read anything Emily Henry writes, and I really want to give Velvet Was the Night a shot! Happy summer reading!

3. kay says:

Great list! I have Malibu Rising and Velvet Was the Night are on my list too. And even though they aren’t officially on my list, I’d love to read The Wolf and the Woodsman, She Who Became the Sun and The Jasmine Throne (though I have another book by the author on my list). Have a great summer!

4. Ashmita | thefictionaljournal says:

Oh wow! I have never seen this edition of she who became the sun! It’s really pretty and haha i literally have all of the last five books on my tbr! And omg the jasmine throne is really high on my radar. Can’t wait to get to it!! Great post! And I just found your blog!! It’s gorgeous ๐Ÿ’–

Thanks so much! โค Yes, this cover is the UK cover – I'm not sure if it's the cover anywhere else, too. The US cover is really pretty too, though, but I'm a sucker for yellows and oranges. I hope we both enjoy it and The Jasmine Throne! ๐Ÿ˜€

5. Stephanie - Bookfever says:

I’m seeing a couple on your list that I want to read too! The Final Girl Support Group, Malibu Rising, The Wolf and the Huntsman and Karen M. McManus’ books. I really enjoyed A Thousand Ships, by the way!

Liked by 2 people

6. JonBob says:

I recommended The Final Girl Support Group to my gf, it sounds so up her street. I really like the sound of literally all of Grady Hendrix’s books but have never read any of them, which is very me.

Velvet Was The Night is a Moreno-Garcia book I’ve not heard of! I’ve only read Mexican Gothic by her but enjoyed it so much I’m pretty much adding every book she’s ever written to my TBR. Very excited for the re-release of her Aztec vampire book Certain Dark Things and her sci-fi novella Prime Meridian sound great too – heard it described as a futuristic Daria, which was a throwback I enjoyed a lot.

Liked by 2 people

I’ve only read Horrorstor by him so far and it’s a lot of fun – especially because the book itself is set out like an IKEA catalogue. ๐Ÿ˜€

I recommend Certain Dark Things and Prime Meridian! There’s a chance you might like her debut thriller, Untamed Shore, too? It’d be a great summer read, actually, because she describes the Mexican heat so well, and it’s such an uneasy book.

1. JonBob says:

Iโ€™ve not heard of Untamed Shore either. Sheโ€™s so versatile; I love authors who just write in every genre and donโ€™t give a fuck about marketability ๐Ÿ˜„