Did I read my spring TBR? | 2021

It’s almost time for me to share the books on my summer TBR, which means it’s time to take a look at my spring TBR and see how much I read!

Heartstopper: Volume 4 by Alice Oseman

Fireheart Tiger by Aliette de Bodard

Rule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo

The Unbroken by C.L. Clark

A Master of Djinn by P. Djeli Clark

Witches Steeped in Gold by Ciannon Smart

Jade City by Fonda Lee

The Councillor by E.J. Beaton

All the Murmuring Bones by A.G. Slatter

Skyward Inn by Aliya Whiteley

So I didn’t do as well as I hoped I would! Who’s shocked? Because I know I’m not.

Granted I’ve been in a rubbish reading slump for quite a bit of this year and I feel like a lot of the stuff I have picked up hasn’t been anything special, which is frustrating. If I’m not reading as much as I was last year, I at least wish I was reading the best of the best!

Even though I still want to read all of the books on my TBR that I’ve yet to read, I just wasn’t in the mood for them this spring and the last thing I wanted to do was force myself through them and not enjoy them as much as I might when I’m feeling less slumpy. In fact I finally started reading The Unbroken over the weekend and I’m really enjoying it so far!

I did find one new favourite in Jade City this spring, which I buddy read with the lovely Dini, and I think it’s safe to say we both adored it. It’s one of the best fantasy novels I’ve read and I can’t believe it took me so long to get to it! We ended up buddy reading the sequel, Jade War, not long after and that was also a five star read. I’m so excited (and terrified) for Jade Legacy this December. I had a really good time with the latest issue of Heartstopper, too – it’s such a lovely series, and I’m looking forward to seeing what Netflix does with the adaptation!

Unfortunately I didn’t like Fireheart Tiger as much – I only gave it two stars – and it’s confirmed my theory that I don’t get along with Aliette de Bodard’s writing, which is such a shame. I’m glad I tried it, though! I did enjoy Rule of Wolves but it had its issues and it was only a three star read for me.

I really want to get to the others this year – especially as The Councillor, All the Murmuring Bones and Skyward Inn are all eARCs from NetGalley – but it did turn out that I couldn’t have read A Master of Djinn this spring anyway. I pre-ordered the American hardback through Blackwell’s, not realising that Orbit would be publishing a paperback edition in the UK, and my pre-order ended up not going through. When I re-ordered it I decided to save myself some money and pre-order the paperback, which won’t be released until August!

How was your spring reading?

19 thoughts on “Did I read my spring TBR? | 2021

Ahaha, I have been in a reading and blogging slump (and it’s why I’ve been totally MIA although planning to hopefully make my come back soon)! Even though you didn’t read as much as you’d hoped, you still did pretty well! 😍 I’m so glad we buddy read Jade City and Jade War (I don’t know how I would’ve survived reading them without crying to you haha) and I’m shit scared but so excited for Jade Legacy. I already know I won’t be ready! 😂 Glad to hear you’re enjoying The Unbroken as I’ve heard so many great things about it but I also hope you find some more great reads soon!

I hope you’ve enjoyed your time away from the blog and social media, Dini! Sometimes we just need to take a step back, so I hope you feel refreshed when you’re ready to come back – and out of your slump. 😀 I know, if I’d read Jade City and Jade War alone I might have spontaneously combusted. I can’t wait to get my hands on Jade Legacy, but I’m SO SCARED she’s going to hurt everyone I love…

2. JonBob says:

I’m so happy you ended up loving Jade City and Jade War 😃 They’re actually some of my fave books, Fonda Lee is an incredible writer it hurts my insides.

As much as I personally like Aliette de Bodard I can def see why her writing style might not grip you. She’s kind of an outlier for me in that sense too cos actually I don’t usually get on with the kind of slow, prosy way she writes most of the time. I’m actually reading The Four Profound Weaves by R.B. Lemberg at the mo and having that exact issue with it, so I don’t know why de Bodard doesn’t have the same effect on me, but I totally get you.

I’m so looking forward to not having any kind of TBR tbh. I’m on the panel for the Subjective Chaos blogger awards and got a bunch of stuff to read by the end of this month. And while I didn’t have a set TBR for Wyrd and Wonder I did feel a little bit constrained by the theme by the end and it feels like it’s been a long time since I really had the total freedom to pick up whatever I wanted off the shelf. And as a very staunch mood reader it feels a bit unnatural to me. Soon as jul rolls round though I’ll be free as a bird and I’m very much looking forward to it 😃

Agreed, the series is phenomenal and I desperately want more people to read it. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with the TV adaptation!

I think I’m the opposite in that I don’t mind flowery writing (to a point), but for some reason there’s something about the way de Bodard writes that just leaves me with a bit of a headache. Oh well!

I hope you enjoy your reading freedom (freadom?), and that you enjoy the majority of the things you need to read for Subjective Chaos!

3. Tammy says:

I’ve been feeling more like mood reading these days too, so I know what you mean. I’ll also be posting my second quarter wrap up soon and I didn’t do too bad, but I also wish I had read more of it😁 I’m jealous you’ve read Jade War already! I need to squeeze it in soon.

4. Angela says:

Even though you didn’t finish your TBR, it’s great that you found some new favorites! I’ve been such a mood reader lately, too, so a couple of the books on my spring TBR just no longer appealed to me after a couple months!

5. Susy's Cozy World says:

I hope your Summer would be slump free!! And that you will read a lot of amazing books!
    For Spring I had a very ambitious TBR but I changed home and I got a sort of slump too, so I have not read as much as I was expecting, but I was lucky anyway because I have read less books, that’s true, but I loved them!