Top Ten Tuesday | Keep or Yeet?

This week’s theme is a spring cleaning freebie, so I’m talking about some of the unread books on my shelves I can sell on depop if I don’t like them—because they’re signed or special editions—that I still need to read. I’m going to put my guessing skills to the test and predict which ones I think I’ll keep, and which ones I think I’ll yeet!

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

I’ve owned this novel for years and it’s been on my TBR even longer. As a lover of historical fiction, it’s practically criminal that I still haven’t read this. My parents bought me my copy for Christmas a few years ago and they just happened to find a copy that’s signed by the author! I’ve heard so many good things about this one that I’m hoping I’ll love it when I finally read it.

Keep or Yeet

Sekret by Lindsay Smith

I won this novel in a giveaway years ago and it’s survived countless bookshelf purges because the fact that it’s historical fiction with a speculative element has always kept me intrigued. It’s signed by the author, which is very cool, but this one doesn’t have the best ratings on Goodreads and I have a feeling it’s ultimately going to be a book that’s just okay.

Keep or Yeet

Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin

This is one of three books on my list that I received in a Fairyloot box, and I haven’t had the best experience with books I’ve received through Fairyloot—in fact I’ve unhauled every single one I’ve read so far! I remember being very excited for this novel before its release because I’m a sucker for stories about witches, but I’ve seen enough reviews for this one to know it’s probably not going to be for me.

Keep or Yeet

A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer

This is another one I received in a Fairyloot box—there was no way I was missing out on a Beauty and the Beast themed box—but I still haven’t read it despite hearing really good things about it! I think the only thing that’s been putting me off picking it up is seeing a few bloggers I trust talk about how much they didn’t like the sequel, which is a shame. Hopefully I’ll enjoy this one when I try it, though.

Keep or Yeet

These Rebel Waves by Sara Raasch

I received this novel in Fairyloot’s pirate themed box and I haven’t seen the best reviews for it, but for some reason I feel like I’m going to love it purely because it’s inspired by the Spanish Inquisition. This is probably the one I’m most excited to try from my Fairyloot books!

Keep or Yeet

A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge

I picked this novel up on a whim when I came across it in the Cardiff branch of Waterstones; I spotted that it was signed and that it had gorgeous dark green sprayed edges and couldn’t resist, and it’s yet another novel that falls into my sweet spot of historical fiction with speculative elements. Since buying it, though, I’ve never been inclined to pick it up, but I’m still hopeful that I’ll enjoy it.

Keep or Yeet

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge

Yep, Hardinge is on my list twice this week! I remember The Lie Tree being everywhere several years ago and I kept meaning to try it but, story of my life, I still haven’t read it. I treated myself to the beautiful edition illustrated by Chris Riddell, who is one of my favourite illustrators, so I’m hoping I love it enough to want to keep it!

Keep or Yeet

How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

This is another special edition that’s been illustrated by Chris Riddell, and this one has dark blue sprayed edges and is signed by both Haig and Riddell. For that reason alone I’d love to keep it, and the premise of this novel really intrigues me, but if I’m honest I have a feeling this one might end up on my depop.

Keep or Yeet

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

I got my copy of Ninth House when I went to see Leigh in Oxford during her UK tour, so I managed to get my copy signed. It’s not personalised—I decided to have my copy of Six of Crows personalised instead as it’s one of my favourite novels—so if Ninth House isn’t for me I’ll be able to sell it without feeling guilty! I’ll be surprised if I don’t enjoy it, though.

Keep or Yeet

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon

I pre-ordered a signed edition of this chonk because I want more f/f fantasy on my shelves, but I still haven’t got around to reading it. I’m hoping to love it, especially as so much of it feels inspired by Elizabethan England, but I’ve seen enough mediocre reviews of this one to make me a little nervous about what I’ll think of it.

Keep or Yeet

61 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Keep or Yeet?

1. Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight says:

I am so bad at this, frankly. I tend to keep stuff I am NEVER going to read. Serpent & Dove I really enjoyed (even though I wasn’t sure I would) buuuut I heard that the sequel was not great so now I am really not too excited about it so maybe yeeting is a good choice there! I may come over and grab How To Stop Time though, that one sounds pretty interesting 😂 I legit thought I had read These Rebel Waves but it turns out, I had not. Whoops?

2. lindseyhabets says:

I absolutely adore Ninth House so I’m glad you decided to keep and I hope you’ll love it too 🙂 I also enjoyed Serpent & Dove and A Curse So Dark and Lonely but I haven’t continued either series yet…

3. waytoofantasy says:

I also have Code Name Verity in my TBR. I keep hesitating on it because I heard it is emotional so I have to be in the right frame of mind LOL. I have read a couple of her other books and really loved them though!

Oh my, that copy of The Lie Tree looks freaking gorgeous! I love Chris Riddell’s artwork too. Even if I didn’t enjoy the book I don’t think I could bring myself to give it away just cos of the illustrations? I’m weak sauce 😂 I can’t wait to read some of these too and I’m especially keen for Code Name Verity! Looking forward to seeing what you think of Priory, too. Sadly that beast didn’t work out for me as much as I’d hoped 😩 Great list, Jess!

Thanks Dini! 😀 It’s so pretty, isn’t it? Haha I know if a book is beautiful I’m far less inclined to get rid of it, but if it’s a special edition I can sell I don’t mind so much. 😉 I need that money for more books. I hope we both enjoy Code Name Verity! I’m sorry Priory wasn’t quite for you–I do really want to try it, but I have a feeling I might be better off with the audiobook.

5. thebookishlibra says:

Priory is one I’ve been unsure about as well. I was so excited for it when it first came out but now I just look at it and think “Man, that’s a big ass book.” LOL! I have read How to Stop Time and thought it was pretty good, although I’ve seen a lot of mixed reviews for it.

6. Rabeeah says:

I think you will definitely enjoy both those Francis Hardinge books — if they’re excellent editions, even more!

I also haven’t read Priory yet, still! It is such a huge book I always put it off, but I think having a physical edition would probably make it easier.

‘Keep or Yeet’ is excellent. 😆 You should make this a regular series!

7. Leslie says:

haha, love this. Great idea! I am planning on reading Serpent and Dove this month. I am wondering how I will like it. lol. I loved A Curse So Dark and Lonely! Glad you are keeping that one!

8. Leah's Books says:

I’m so glad that you decided to keep A Curse So Dark and Lonely – I loved that book and the sequel! I also really enjoyed Ninth House, even though it definitely isn’t for everyone. I hope you enjoy the books you keep!

9. Lexlingua says:

Haha, love the TTT post titles you come up with! Keep or yeet, indeed. I too have been on the fence over Serpent & Dove for the longest time ever — I guess it’s time to make up my mind!
    ~ Lex (lexlingua.co)

10. iloveheartlandx says:

I talked about books that I’m considering removing from my Goodreads TBR. Code Name Verity is excellent, so I’m glad you’ve decided to keep that one, and I hope you enjoy it when you read it. I liked Ninth House, but it was a bit slow to get into, same issue with Priory (highly recommend the audiobook for Priory, the narrator is great). A Curse So Dark and Lonely I was kind of meh about to be honest, so I hope you enjoy it more than I did.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/03/09/top-ten-tuesday-306/

1. iloveheartlandx says:

It’s such a good book, one of my favourite historical fictions. Ha ha no worries, even just a practical standpoint, an 800 odd page book is difficult to haul around (though when I read Priory, we were actually allowed to go places, so that’s probably less of a problem now!)

11. Stephanie @ Bookfever says:

My relationship with A Curse So Dark and Lonely is complicated. I absolutely adore Brigid Kemmerer. I’ve been reading her books for a long time but I really didn’t enjoy A Curse So Dark and Lonely but then I gave the sequel a chance and absolutely LOVED that one and the last book I liked but didn’t loved. It’s been up and down with that trilogy. Also really enjoyed Serpent & Dove and am totally crazy about Ninth House, it’s fantastic!

I’m really looking forward to getting to Ninth House! I’ve realised I can’t bring myself to read it until I’ve read Rule of Wolves–I want to finish Leigh’s first series before I start another one. 🙂 I need to try A Curse So Dark and Lonely and Serpent & Dove soon!

I’m glad you enjoyed them all! I really do want to read Code Name Verity, but for whatever reason when I’m in the mood for historical fiction I rarely reach for books set during WW2. I need to make myself pick it up soon!

I’ve had Code Name Verity on my list forever as well. I don’t own a copy so I don’t have to worry about that, but I should probably read it. I also need to read A Curse So Dark and Lonely. Funnily enough, I had a copy of The Lie Tree for a while and finally decided I didn’t care about it enough to read it. It’s not on my list for this week, but it’s definitely one I’ve purged from my shelf recently.

I love how you set up this post with the “keep or yeet” theme. So fun! 🙂

13. Molly's Book Nook says:

I really enjoyed A Curse So Dark & Lonely so I hope you do too! I also got Serpent & Dove from a sub box and while I’ve seen nothing but good reviews about it…I’m not super interested in reading it? I don’t know why lol Anyways, Happy reading!

14. Catherine@basedonthebook says:

The Priory of the Orange Tree just looks so beautiful as well – but it’s so big. And I feel like the author is one of those who critics love but you never hear much good word of mouth about? Unlike with Leigh Bardugo – just finished Crooked Kingdom, love the characters so much!!!

Ahh I’m glad you enjoyed Crooked Kingdom! 🙂 I love that duology. I love the sound of The Priory of the Orange Tree, I just haven’t been able to get into it yet. I’m wondering if the audiobook might be better!