Top Ten Tuesday | Characters whose job I wish I had

This week’s theme is ‘Characters Whose Job I Wish I Had’, which is such a fun theme! As someone who’s both a book lover and a history nerd, those are the two fields I’ve focused on this week.

But first, a non-bookish honourable mention:

I couldn’t put together a list like this without mentioning Evie from The Mummy, who will always have a very special place in my heart. Evie was the very first time I saw a nerd at the heart of an action movie and I love her. I know Indiana Jones made a lot of people want to be archaeologists, but for me it was always Evie.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe: Connie, the heroine of this novel, is a graduate history student specialising in the history of witchcraft in America. I love the idea of being a witchcraft historian.

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness: I haven’t read this one yet (I’m hoping to finally cross it off my TBR this year!) but this is another book about a scholar who, I believe, focuses on the history of witchcraft.

Flirtasaurus by Erin Mallon: The heroine of this romance novel is a palaeontologist and I was a huge dinosaur nerd as a little girl. If I’d been more science-brained than arts-brained, I might have pursued palaeontology…

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers: As she’s a child Theodosia herself doesn’t have a job—at least not one she’s paid for!—but her mum is an archaeologist.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis: Kivrin is a history student whose studies involve time travelling back to the Middle Ages to record medieval life, which sounds like an absolute dream for a historian. As long as they could come back home at the end of it!

Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor: This is another series I keep meaning to read, and another case of historians using time travel to conduct their research.

Well Met by Jen DeLuca: Emily runs a bookshop and spends her summers helping out at a Renaissance Faire. In other words, she’s living the dream.

Hollowpox by Jessica Townsend: Roshni Singh is a librarian at Nevermoor’s Goblein Library and working there sounds like so much fun.

The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow: Bella is another librarian but she’s also something of a researcher in her own right, particularly when it comes to collecting stories associated with witchcraft.

The Memoirs of Lady Trent by Marie Brennan: As you all know I’m much more of a unicorn girl than a dragon girl, but there’s no way I’d miss the chance to be a dragon naturalist if it came my way.

22 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Characters whose job I wish I had

1. Chiara says:

I hope you love this book. The series is really into history and the main character, who’s name escapes me at the mo, is brilliant and really someone to aspire to.

Great list, Jess! Evie is definitely a great character and I remember how much I loved her the first time I saw the movie too. I also had Nevermoor on my list but I chose a staff member from the Deucalion cos that’d be such a fun job?! 🤣 Also, I can’t believe I totes forgot that Emily runs a bookshop! The ren faire gig would also be super fun 😍

3. Greg says:

I’d love tobe a historian or scholar like that. and time traveling as part of your studies? How awesome would that be???

Archaeology or palentology would be amazing, I always wanted to do those.

4. Leslie says:

Evie is always soo amazing!! I really liked Discovery of Witches but I think I was disappointed with the ending. I really want to watch the show but I’m going to wait until the second season is over and binge it and only pay for a month service. lol

5. Louise says:

I’d love to live in Marie Brennens world with something to do with the dragons, but probably in a less hardship filled position than Lady Trents adventures? I’m too lazy for all that galavanting.

6. lindseyhabets says:

Evie! Now I really want to watch The Mummy again 🙂
    Working in a bookstore and spending my summers at a Ren Faire does sound amazing! Oh, and I definitely hope to read A Discovery of Witches this year as well!

7. Helen says:

That’s a great list! Yes, being a witchcraft historian sounds fascinating and I’ve always loved the idea of time travel too. I have read the first book in the Jodi Taylor series and really enjoyed it.