Top Ten Tuesday | Books published in 1991

This week’s theme is ‘Books Written Before I Was Born (submitted by Davida Chazan @ The Chocolate Ladyโ€™s Book Review Blog)’, and I just know this topic is going to make me feel old as hell. This week I decided to talk about books that were all published the year I was born, in 1991, and were therefore all written before I was born!

Blood Price by Tanya Huff: This is the first in Huff’s urban fantasy series starring a human detective and the vampire she teams up with to solve supernatural crimes, who, naturally, is the illegitimate son of Henry VIII. I still need to finish this series!

Regeneration by Pat Barker: I had to read this one during my A Levels and I believe it’s something of a modern classic here in the UK, but it wasn’t really for me. Mostly thanks to the use of the phrase ‘furry cup’ during a cunnilingus scene that has haunted me ever since I read it.

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett: Pratchett is an author I’d really like to try, and I’m particularly interested in his witch novels!

Wise Children by Angela Carter: This is another one I had to read during my A Levels, and another one I was not a fan of. Even by Carter’s standards, this novel is WEIRD.

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang: One day I will get around to reading this one, which has been sitting on my bookshelf for years.

All the Weyrs of Pern by Anne McCaffrey: This is one of those classic series I never got into as a child, to be honest I don’t think I was even aware of it until I was an adult and I heard other SFF readers talk about it, but I know it’s loved by many.

The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson: Wilson was my favourite author during my late childhood and early teens, and thanks to the CBBC series Tracy Beaker was a huge part of many UK childhoods.

Mariel of Redwall by Brian Jacques: This is another series I simply wasn’t aware of as a child and I so wish I had been! I loved animal books as a child so I would have loved this series. Oh well!

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon: Will I ever read this book or watch the series? Who can say? I would like to give it a try at some point, though.

The Awakening by L.J. Smith: We started with vampires, so we might as well end with vampires. I never got into The Vampire Diaries, but I remember the TV series being HUGE throughout the 2010s.

35 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Books published in 1991

1. Rhosymedre (@Rhosymedre) says:

“the vampire she teams up with to solve supernatural crimes, who, naturally, is the illegitimate son of Henry VIII.”
    Naturally. (That sounds wild as heck!)

I haven’t read most of these, but I did get to Wild Swans in high school, one of the few I voluntarily picked off my mother’s bookshelf. I was impressed by how readable it was.

And now because you’ve made me curious, my top 3 of 1991, at least based on what’s on my Goodreads account:
    Black Unicorn – Tanith Lee
    The Cat Who Went to Paris – Peter Gethers
    Shiloh – Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
    –RS

2. everythingalyce says:

I love your twist on this topic! While writing my post I discovered I’m four months older than Game of Thrones, so that was a fun discovery. I might need to write a post talking about all the books which were published the year I was born.

3. Leslie says:

Hehe.. these always make me feel old! Outlander, that’s a great book! So funny… the series is still going on. Crazy, how long some series take. Quality over quantity applies, I think! Great list.

4. lindseyhabets says:

Oh I read and loved the first Outlander book and the first season of the tv show, though I never continued either… I also read the Vampire Diaries books, but I’d definitely recommend the series over the books for that one.

5. Mareli Thalwitzer says:

Hi Jess! Oh gosh, now you make me feel old! I was born in 1978…. I wanted to do the same idea as you, take book that was published in 1978, by I didn’t get to it, bit busy.

Wow, I can’t believe Outlander is 20 + years old! Good grief!

Great list, Jess! I had no idea Outlander was published in 1991 (I have no idea when I thought it was published though tbh, haha) but that is a book that intimidates me with its size but that I do want to at least give a try. So many people love it! And I do want to attempt the book before watching the show… One day ๐Ÿ˜‚

I love that you decided to focus on books published the year you were born! That’s a cool way to do this prompt.

I wish I had read more Redwall books as a child. I think I read like two. XD

8. FangirlFlax says:

You are brave, checking the year–I cheated out on my list going with classics, but we actually share a year! And yet I had no idea Tracy Beaker was born the year we were? She’s such a staple of my childhood, I assumed the book was a bit younger! Great list ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Louise says:

I remember really liking the Tanya Huff books when I read them. There was a TV series too more recently (which I think was what introduced me to the books). I’m not sure I finished the full series either though…