Top Ten Tuesday | Face it, sometimes people on covers don’t suck

This week’s theme is a cover freebie! When it comes to covers I’m not usually drawn to covers that have people on them, I’d much rather imagine what the characters look like for myself, but there are a few book covers with faces as the centre of focus that I really like, so today I thought I’d share them with you.

Interestingly, almost all of these faces are illustrations–I’m still not fond of photographic covers…

Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson: Not only is this cover one of my favourite colours (more yellow covers, please!) but that illustration is so eye-catching and beautiful and I can’t wait to read this one.

You Must Not Miss by Katrina Leno: Sadly the UK edition isn’t as pretty as this US edition, but I’m still very interested in checking this novel out after reading Acqua’s review.

Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron: This cover is *chef’s kiss*. I adore the illustration.

Wilder Girls by Rory Power: I still haven’t read this horror novel, but I think we can all agree that this was the most stunning cover of 2019.

A Book of Secrets by Kate Morrison: Not only is this novel set in the Tudor era, my favourite historical era, but the cover illustration is beautiful; I particularly love that, up close, her earrings are actually tiny skulls.

With the Fire On High by Elizabeth Acevedo: This cover is gorgeous. There’s literally nothing about it I don’t like.

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor: Sadly I didn’t like this Middle Grade novel very much, but the cover is stunning.

My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland: This cover, like the book, is so much fun!

Hangsaman by Shirley Jackson: I’m not usually a fan of photographs on covers, but something about this particular shot really works–it’s quite haunting.

The Tempest by William Shakespeare: I’ve never read or seen The Tempest, but I love this cover–particularly how Prospero’s beard becomes the sea.

55 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Face it, sometimes people on covers don’t suck

1. JonBob says:

Iโ€™ve actually not heard of most of these books but those covers for You Must Not Miss, Book Of Secrets and My Life As A White Trash Zombie make me want to read them without knowing anything else about them ๐Ÿ˜„

2. Mareli Thalwitzer says:

Hi Jess! Nice one. I immediately thought of The Girl with the pearl earing when I saw your topic. That one doesn’t suck either.

Cinderella is dead has a super cool, mean girl cover. Love it.

I did my TTT on Elza who believes the world revolves around her. (10 books with white cats on the cover)

3. Jordan @ Forever Lost in Literature says:

Great topi choice–I’m usually not a fan of people on covers, but I agree sometimes they are done well! Wilder Girls is one I’ve really liked, and You Must Not Miss and A Book of Secrets are both really striking as well. I’ve also never heard of A Book of Secrets and it sounds amazing, I think I’ll have to check it out! I love the one for The Tempest also!

I agree! I usually don’t like when books have faces on the cover either, but there is something about illustrated people on covers that isn’t nearly as bad as photographic ones.

Plus, I think publishers are putting more effort in designing stunning illustrated covers so the other details alongside the “faces” are gorgeous too!

5. acquadimore says:

Great list! I also love the cover of Grown (such a striking image, from the color to the expression) and With the Fire on High (it just bring so much joy) a lot, and agree about Wilder Girls being the best cover from 2019. So beautiful, so eerie – I think it’s perfect for the book even though I had mixed feelings about it.
    And I hope you like You Must Not Miss, it was remarkably strange for YA. (And thank you for linking my post!)

Omg, I’ve never seen that cover for The Tempest but I love how it’s illustrated! All of these covers are so gorgeous. I’m definitely more of a fan of illustrated face covers versus photographic covers, but it does also depend how the photograph is done. Fab list! That cover for You Must Not Miss is really ๐Ÿ˜

7. Rabeeah says:

Love this! Totally agree that illustrations are always better ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿฝ and it really shows when the focus is a person! That cover of You Must Not Miss has immediately made me curious to find out more about the book.

8. notesbyj says:

I love all these covers!! When its done well I really like people on covers. I prefer illustrated over photos too! I love all of these. Especially Wilder Girls and With The Fire On High