Top Ten Tuesday | Books with red in the title

This week’s theme is ‘Books with Colours In the Titles’. Oddly, I’m not the biggest fan of the colour red – which probably sounds weird when there are accents of it here and there on my blog – but I’ve never been fond of red clothes or red furniture. To me it often feels like such a big, angry colour, and I tend to prefer either jewel colours like deep purples and blues or, my ultimate favourite, citrus colours like yellow, green and orange.

So today I thought I’d give the colour red a bit of a break, and share ten books on my TBR that have red in the title!

Dark and Deepest Red by Anna-Marie McLemore: I read McLemore’s work for the first time earlier this year and loved it, so I’d really like to try this novel of theirs too!

Written in Red by Anne Bishop: I’ve seen enough rave review of this novel to know that, at some point, I need to give it try.

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie: I love fantasy westerns and I received a copy of this novel from my parents last Christmas, so I’d like to cross it off my TBR soon.

The Girl in Red by Christina Henry: I know Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies loves this sci-fi horror retelling of Little Red Cap, so I need to to try it, too.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant: I love the sound of this novel which gives a voice to the biblical Jacob’s four wives and his daughter, Dinah.

Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James: I’ve seen enough review of this African-inspired fantasy to know it’s probably not for me, but I’d like to give it a try before I dismiss it.

Redwall by Brian Jacques: I wish I’d known about this fantasy series, featuring a cast of anthropomorphic animals, when I was younger because I would have loved it. I’m tempted to borrow it from the library and read it as an adult, though.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells: I’ve heard so many good things about the Murderbot Diaries, at some point I need to cross it off my TBR.

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch: Unfortunately there’s been an allegation on Twitter recently about Lynch and his wife, Elizabeth Bear, being involved in grooming and abuse. I don’t want to support an author involved in such a thing, but I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora and my parents also got me a copy of this novel for Christmas so I don’t want to waste their gift. Going forward, I’ll be keeping my eyes out for secondhand copies of this series and I’m undecided yet as to whether or not I’ll review them on my blog. Whatever happens, I felt like it was important to say I was aware of the current allegation against him and also to mention in case anyone else was unaware.

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston: This m/m contemporary romance is insanely popular, so at some point I’ll have to try it. I don’t tend to love contemporary stories about royals, though, so we’ll see how I feel when I read it!

69 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Books with red in the title

1. Tooshorttooread says:

A great list! I think we know I’m a big fan of red so I’m doubly enjoying this πŸ˜‰ I love the sound of Deep and Darkest Red, I treated myself to All Systems Red on sale and will definitely be checking out some others!

2. lindseyhabets says:

Red is not my favorite color either, but I do appreciate it on book covers!
    I’ve recently read Written in Red and really loved it, and of course Red White and Royal Blue is one of my all-time favorites πŸ™‚

3. jessicabookworm says:

Well done on making a whole list of just titles with red in! Two red titles made it onto my TTT list this week: The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory and Red Rose, White Rose by Joanna Hickson. πŸ™‚ I also want to read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant and Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. (I wasn’t aware of any allegations against Lynch, as I don’t go near Twitter. If he is properly prosecuted and found guilty, I won’t read any more of his books. But it is very sad when anyone or their work is boycotted before anything is proven).

4. Rachel @Waves of Fiction says:

As you know Written in Red and Girl in Red made my list, too. It’s amazing how many titles have red in them, right? Great list and thanks for visiting my TTT!

5. Helen says:

The Red Tent is on my TBR too, although I couldn’t fit it into my list for today’s post. I’m sure I read some of the Redwall books when I was a child, but I can’t remember anything about them!

6. Resa says:

I forgot about the Red Tent! (Seeing other people’s lists is making me feel really silly for how hard I thought this prompt was when I made my post πŸ˜…) But All Systems Red made it onto my list too, even though it’s still just sitting in my TBR pile.

7. Lisa says:

Thanks for the mention! I do hope you get to The Girl in Red one of these days. πŸ™‚ I went with all one color as well — mine is blue. It was a really fun way to look at my books! Red, White & Royal Blue was so cute, and of course Murderbot is awesome!

8. Mareli Thalwitzer says:

Redwall is very popular at the school library where I work. Also haven’t read it yet. I like your spin on the red books! You got some really great picks here.

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

Great take on this week’s prompt! I struggled to come up with a list πŸ˜‚ I realise I have quite a few of these on my TBR and they totally slipped my mind (and my Goodreads search!) when I was making my post earlier. I’m really keen to read The Girl in Red and Dark and Deepest Red as well (that cover tho 😍). Great list!

10. acquadimore says:

…I had never noticed how many books had “red” in the title before
    I hope you end up liking the Murderbot Diaries! I don’t think all novellas in the series are as strong but it is overall a fun time. And same about Black Leopard, Red Wolf, I’m curious but I’m pretty sure that it’s not my thing (and I also will never have the courage to pick it up because with long books I’m Like That).
    Great list!

I know, it’s so tricky! I really enjoyed Locke Lamora, too. I’ll definitely read Red Seas Under Red Skies because it was a gift, but I think I will get the other books in the series secondhand and potentially not talk about them on my blog.

I need to try the Murderbot series!