Top Ten Tuesday | Festivals and conventions I want to go to

This week’s theme is ‘Book Events/Festivals I’d Love to Go to Someday (Real or Fictional. Submitted by Nandini @ Unputdownable Books)’, so this week I’ve decided to focus on some general festivals and conventions I’d like to go to! A lot of them have a bookish link, but I’m a big history nerd so a few history events have snuck in, too.

Literally any Renaissance Faire

I feel like Ren Faires are much bigger in the US than here in the UK, and I would love to go to one – they look like so much fun! Also an opportunity to dress up like someone from the Renaissance? Yes please!

Tewkesbury Medieval Festival

I currently live in Gloucestershire and I had plans to go to Tewkesbury Medieval Festival with some friends from work this year but, sadly, it was cancelled. Hopefully I can go next year instead!

Fantasy Forest Festival

Another Gloucestershire-based festival! I went to Fantasy Forest Festival for the first time last year – it’s held at Sudeley Castle, one of my favourite places in the world – and, again, I had plans to go back this year but it’s also been cancelled.

Hay Festival

I’ve been to the Hay Festival every year since 2016 and, you guessed it, I had plans to go back this year but it was cancelled. The organisers did manage to put a lot of the events online, though, which was great, but I love the atmosphere at Hay so I can’t wait to go back next year.

San Diego Comic-Con

I’ve been to a few UK-based Comic-Cons, in cities like Cardiff, Manchester and Birmingham, but I would love to go to the mother of all Comic-Cons in San Diego. It sounds like nerd heaven.

YALC

To be honest I think the main reason I haven’t been to YALC yet, which takes place in London, is because I tend to prefer adult fiction over YA, so there’s not always a huge amount of panels that I’m interested in seeing. Also, I don’t like the thought of buying a ticket that a younger person might benefit from more? I’d really like to give it a go one year, though, and maybe go and see the rest of London Comic-Con while I’m there.

Worldcon

Ugh, I would love to go and see the Hugo Awards and go to all the amazing panels they have at Worldcon! I still can’t believe it was so close last year, just across the water in Dublin, but it’s the kind of event I need to save up for.

FantasyCon

The annual convention of the British Fantasy Society is another convention that sounds like it would be so fun to attend, but it’s another one I haven’t been able to get to as of yet. It was supposed to take place in London this September, but it’s also been cancelled.

Gloucester History Festival

Thanks to where I work, I’ve been able to attend Gloucester History Festival for free since 2018. I’m not sure yet whether it’s running again this autumn but, if it is, I’ll definitely be going! I’ve been able to meet some very cool historians there, such as Janina Ramirez, Alison Weir, Lucy Worsley, Kate Williams, David Olusoga, Amber Butchart and Helen Castor.

Tudorcon

I am so jealous that the US has a Tudorcon. The first ever Tudorcon ran last year and was supposed to return this year but has been postponed until 2021, so I guess I’ll just have to save up so I can go…

61 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Festivals and conventions I want to go to

1. Sammie @ The Bookwyrm's Den says:

I’ve never been to a Ren Faire, either, but gosh they look like so much fun. My friend’s gone to several, and he really liked it, so who am I to argue? Never heard of Fantasy Forest Festival, but oh my gosh, it sounds fabulous and I’m so jealous that I live in the US and can’t go. D: Stupid US. FantasyCon sounds like another really good one.

I love hearing about festivals in other countries than me. Some of these sound really cool, so I’m just a little jealous you have a possibility of going! XD

3. Leah says:

Thank you for this list. There are so many new-to-me events on here I must see in my lifetime.

I haven’t been to a Ren Faire in years! I miss them.

You definitely have to go to San Diego Comic-Con one year. It is always jam packed so who knows when it will be able to happen again.

4. Greg says:

I love Renaissance faires and go to ours every year, although sadly i don’t think it will be in the cards this time. I hope you get to one soon! And I love a good medieval faire as well. Worldcon is another one I’d love to get to one of these days.

5. Lisa says:

A friend of mine goes to the Hay Festival every year as well – it sounds wonderful! And I’d love to go to some of the others you mention, especially the Medieval Festival and Tudorcon!

6. vee_bookish says:

I want to go to a renfaire so, so much. I’ve seen pictures and videos of the American ones and I am so jealous, I don’t know why we don’t have them here, I mean, it’s England! We have trees! Many trees! Ergh I’m so sad.

7. lydiaschoch says:

I think you would love Renaissance Faires! I only know of one here in Canada, but I went to them occasionally when I lived in the United States. They are genuinely a ton of fun for all ages, from toddlers to grandparents which is lovely.

Thanks for stopping by to say hello earlier.

8. Emer @alittlehazebookblog says:

Omg I want to go to the hay festival so much!! I watch all the programmes on sky arts from it every year and just dream of being there myself. Also I’m still not over the fact that both World Con and Becky Chambers were here last year but you know, couldn’t go because of crappy health πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„ I know, SOMEONE GET ME A TINY VIOLIN πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Great TTT Jess πŸ’›πŸ’–πŸ’œ

I’m very lucky! I lived in Wales for a couple of years and my parents still do, so I can go and visit them and Hay’s only around an hour and a half away from them in the car. It’s a wonderful festival, I definitely recommend going if you can–it’s so chill and friendly, and the weather’s always just right. πŸ™‚