Top Ten Tuesday | Books by trans and/or non-binary authors on my TBR

TTT-10Birthday

Happy 10th Birthday to Top Ten Tuesday! And a big shout out to Jana for continuing to host this feature, which I always enjoy taking part in.

The options this week are to re-do an old topic or maybe even do a past topic we might have missed out on, but I’ve decided to do something a little different this week!

After she-who-must-not-be-named announced her garbage views surrounding the trans community – during PRIDE MONTH, no less – I thought it was only right I shed some light on some of the books by trans and/or non-binary authors that are on my TBR. If you have any recommendations, please do leave them below!

I’d also like to say that I will always love the Harry Potter series, it was a huge part of my childhood and my teen years, and I do want to continue to collect the illustrated editions as they’re released. I have also decided, though, that whenever I buy a book by she-who-must-not-be-named and give her money, I’m going to donate the same amount of money to a trans and gender-diverse charity like Mermaids. Because I need to put my money where my mouth is.

The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders: To be honest this book never really appealed to me when it was released, but ever since I read Acqua’s review I’ve been very keen to give it a try and Anders herself seems like such a cool person.

Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey: I looove the sound of this novel, which feels very much like a response to Harry Potter, but for whatever reason I still haven’t read it. I’ve enjoyed other work by Gailey so it’s time I got to this!

Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas: This Latinx novel is due out in September and it sounds so fun!

Phoenix Extravagant by Yoon Ha Lee: I’ve yet to read any of Lee’s work, despite hearing amazing things, but this novel has a stunning cover and I’m very intrigued by it.

No Man of Woman Born by Ana Mardoll: This is a collection of seven fantasy stories that feature trans and genderqueer characters at their centre and it sounds wonderful.

The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass by Adan Jerreat-Poole: This one doesn’t have the best ratings on Goodreads, but I received a copy via NetGalley and it involves witches so I’d like to give it a try.

Queen of the Conquered by Kacen Callender: This Caribbean-inspired fantasy is on my summer TBR, so I’m planning to pick it up asap!

Hollow Pike by Juno Dawson: Again, I’m witch trash so it’s ridiculous that I haven’t read this yet. I haven’t read any of Dawson’s work yet but I’ve seen interviews with her and she’s so fun and witty, so I’d really like to read something of hers this year.

Once & Future by Amy Rose Capetta and Cory McCarthy: Capetta uses both ‘they’ and ‘she’ pronouns but I’m not 100% sure how she identifies and I don’t like to presume anything, but McCarthy identifies as non-binary trans and I’d like to cross this sci-fi Arthurian Legends retelling off my TBR.

When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore: To be honest any of McLemore’s novels could have made this list after I read and loved Wild Beauty, but for whatever reason When the Moon Was Ours is the one I keep thinking about picking up next.

49 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Books by trans and/or non-binary authors on my TBR

1. Leah says:

When the Moon Was Ours was the first of McLemore’s books I’ve read. It was beautifully written. I am very excited for Cemetery Boys, and that Aiden’s getting all the buzz. Happy reading!

2. Jocelyn says:

With Yoon Ha Lee, I just thought he was male until I read an article last year about him being trans. I suppose in a way that’s how it should be, us only seeing them as what they identify as.

This is a great list, I’ll be sure to check out some of the authors I haven’t read anything by yet.

3. Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight says:

Such a great choice for a topic!! And SO many books that I am dying to read here! I own a few of Gailey’s books, though I have only read one and need to amend that stat! I also have LOVED Cori McCarthy’s books and would definitely like to read this one too. And Anna-Marie’s books always looked so good. Honestly I just need to read the whole list. Also I think it’s a great idea to donate to these wonderful causes!

4. anovelglimpse says:

Your HP plans sound like a good one. It’s great that you’re supporting the cause when you choose to buy her books. It’s such a huge part of many childhoods, and it’s hard to separate the work from the author’s view points.

5. Lisa says:

FAbulous list and topic! Magic for Liars is terrific — I hope you get a chance to read it soon. 🙂 I’m so unhappy about the JKR situation and keep hoping she’ll learn and improve. I love Harry Potter too much to ever quit it. I love your idea about support trans causes when I spend money on HP in the future!

Fab topic choice and list of books, Jess! Ugh, that whole hot mess was just so heartbreaking, infuriating and overall so so so disappointing. I feel much the same as you about the illustrated versions and donating! I have almost all of these on my TBR and I’m excited for SO many of them! Especially Cemetery Boys *grabby hands!!!* 😍

7. acquadimore says:

…all the books I read that are on this list are favorites so I think this is both a great list and a great idea
    The cover of Phoenix Extravagant really is Something. I don’t find any of the covers of Lee’s adult books to be pretty, not really, but they’re definitely eye-catching!
    I’ve heard very mixed things about Once & Future and in general haven’t had the best time with YA sci-fi, so I haven’t tried it yet despite loving The Lost Coast, so I’m curious to see what you think of it.
    And I’m glad you’re going to try The City in the Middle of the Night, I hope you like it! (And thank you for linking my post!)