This week’s theme is ‘Books I’ve Added to my TBR and Forgotten Why (stolen from Louise @ Foxes & Fairy Tales)’ but to be honest I’m pretty good at clearing my Goodreads TBR shelf, so if I’ve forgotten why I added a book to my TBR and the cover doesn’t remind me, I’ll just remove it.

Something I started doing this year (before lockdown, of course) was taking advantage of my library, which is something I’ve failed at over the years. Now that I’m trying to save both money and shelf space I’ve realised I don’t actually need to own a copy of every book I want to read and I want to support my library, so today I thought I’d share ten books I’m looking forward to borrowing when I can go to the library again!

The Beauty of the Wolf by Wray Delaney: This novel has very low reviews over on Goodreads, but it’s a gender-swapped Beauty and the Beast retelling set in Elizabethan England so I’d like to give it a try.

Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky: I read my first Tchaikovsky, Children of Time, last year and really enjoyed it, and this sci-fi from the POV of a dog sounds so good.

The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie: I’ve yet to read any of Leckie’s work but I’m very intrigued by her fantasy debut.

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson: I love YA mystery thrillers and I’ve seen really good reviews of this one, which I believe is set in the UK unlike a lot of the US-based YA thrillers I know of.

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel: Each novel in this series is a chunker, but I’m so intrigued because I’ve never read a historical fiction novel set during the Ice Age before.

Divine by Mistake by P.C. Cast: During Wyrd & Wonder I wrote a post about the lack of centaurs in fantasy fiction, but that’s not the case in this series which sounds pretty bonkers, to be honest. If I can get a free copy from the library, though, I’d like to give it a try!

Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus: Another YA thriller, this time from an author I’ve read before. I really enjoyed One of Us is Lying and One of Us is Next, so this is one I want to try.

Small Island by Andrea Levy: I’ve heard so many amazing things about this novel and I really enjoyed the adaptation of Levy’s The Long Song in 2018, so I’d like to try her work.

The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden: I borrowed a copy of The Girl in the Tower from the library, which I still need to read, after reading and enjoying The Bear and the Nightingale earlier this year. This is one I’m planning to borrow this winter!

Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle: Spellbook implies witches, and I love witches. I’d also like to read more Irish authors and I’ve heard good things about Fowley-Doyle’s work.

56 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Books I’m going to borrow from the library (when I can go to the library again)

Great choices, Jess! I’m really sad that I don’t have access to a library living in Asia but going to the library and discovering books by chance/random is one of my favourite things to do! I could literally spend hours browsing (and have done in the past lol). I hope you enjoy these books 😀 I’m really keen to read A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder and to finish Two Can Keep A Secret!

2. Captain's Quarters says:

Oh excellent list. I loved dogs of war, the raven tower, and winter of the witch. The first two are odd but lovely. The last one is lovely and one of the best series endings I have ever read. As for the cave bear books, I read the series in 7th grade (eons ago) and it was one of me favourites. If ye end up reading the series, don’t read the last book. Bad. Also start with the first book. I read 2 – 4 then 1. I shouldn’t have. The books are a bit repetitive in terms of long descriptions (the steppes in particular). The sex scenes were interesting to a silly 7th grader but are tame for an adult. I haven’t read them in 20 years but still think of them fondly. The animals are the best.
    x The Captain

3. Brooke Lorren says:

I need to continue with The Bear and the Nightingale series (but it’s kind of a wintry book, so not right now). Our library is doing curbside service now; it would be nice if yours would too!

One of the drawbacks to a library is when you have series and the library doesn’t get the books to you in order. I may have to buy a Kindle copy of the 2nd Twilight book because it’s not available yet, I’ve borrowed the last two, and I’m about done with the first one. But I did save myself from buying the other three books!

4. Lisa says:

Great topic! I’m dying for the library to reopen. I’ve been enjoying the digital borrowing I’ve been able to do, but I can’t wait to be able to check out actual physical books again!

5. Emer @alittlehazebookblog says:

My mum loves the clan of the cave bear series. It’s the only series she ever dedicated herself to. She was so excited for the last book to come out… took like a bazillion years, but then she was disappointed by it sadly. Felt it was very repetitive apparently. But she says that first book is still terrific. I’ve been meaning to borrow her copies to read it for myself.

6. susanblogginboutbooks says:

My library is open for curbside pickup, which is nice, but I miss browsing. Libraries in a nearby city have opened up fully, so maybe it will happen for us here soon. I hope yours will open at least for curbside pickup!

I haven’t read any of these books, but I’m on the library waitlist for A GOOD GIRL’S GUIDE TO MURDER. I’m interested in the McManus book as well. I hope we both love them when we read them.

Happy TTT!

Susan

Oh that’s very cool! I actually retreated to my parents’ house for lockdown (and I’m very glad I was able to, as they live in the middle of the countryside where it’s much easier to go out for a walk!) so I’m nowhere near my library at the moment. I might see if I can take advantage of my parents’ library when it reopens…

7. foreverlostinlit says:

I can’t wait until all of our libraries finally reopen! It’s been so sad without them, haha. I recently read The Clan of the Cave Bear and it was SO different from what I expected. I would be really curious to hear your thoughts on it if/when you get to pick it up! Spellbook of the Lost and Found is one I’ve really wanted to read!

8. Catherine says:

I liked Small Island – and the BBC series was a really good adaptation, if you can find it anywhere. I definitely take for granted being able to bring books home from the libraries – definitely missing it a bit!

9. evelynreads1 says:

I hope the library will open again soon!
    Spellbook of the lost and found is one of my faves, I hope you get to that one!

(www.evelynreads.com)