#WyrdAndWonder Top Ten Tuesday | Fantasy sequels I won’t read

This week’s theme is ‘The Last Ten Books I Abandoned (this could be books you DNFed, books you decided you were no longer interested in, etc.) (submitted by Claire @ Book Lovers Pizza)’, but today I’m twisting the topic a little to talk about ten fantasy sequels I won’t be reading. Let me know if you think I should change my mind!

The Riddle by Alison Croggon: Looking back, I probably should have DNF’d The Gift. I remember forcing my way through that book during my teens but I don’t remember much about the plot other than that it didn’t feel like anything I hadn’t come across before.

Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder: I so wanted to love this series, but Touch of Power didn’t stay with me and I’ve never been able to forgive the love interest for hitting the heroine so hard she fell over.

Tears of Frost by Bree Barton: Sadly Heart of Thorns wasn’t for me at all – the fact that two different bi characters both had tragic/bad queer romances bothered me – so this is a YA series I won’t be continuing.

Child of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier: Oh man. I adored Daughter of the Forest and then I read the second book, Son of the Shadows, and loathed it. This is one series I won’t be continuing!

The Missing of Clairedelune by Christelle Dabos; translated by Hildegarde Serle: I really hoped I’d enjoy A Winter’s Promise but I ended up DNFing it, so this is another series I won’t be continuing.

The Silvered Serpents by Roshani Chokshi: The Gilded Wolves is another one that just didn’t work for me, which is a real shame!

The Damned by Renée Ahdieh: Sadly The Beautiful wasn’t for me, so I won’t be reaching for this one! (UNLESS I discover there’s an f/f romance between Pippa and Odette, which is all I want.)

Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire: I hoped to love Every Heart a Doorway, but it turned into one of the most obvious murder mysteries I’ve ever read and I’ve had no interest in reading more from this series.

Turning the Storm by Naomi Kritzer: This duology has so many things I love – Italian-inspired fantasy world; religious turmoil; f/f romance! – but Fires of the Faithful ended up being a 1 star read for me.

Sea Witch Rising by Sarah Henning: I quite liked Sea Witch, but I don’t think it’s a novel that needed a sequel and I haven’t seen particularly good reviews for this one.

69 thoughts on “#WyrdAndWonder Top Ten Tuesday | Fantasy sequels I won’t read

1. dragonsandzombies says:

I abandoned the Pellinor Series in the middle of book 3 so I guess you didn’t miss much 😀 I actually enjoyed the first 2, but hated the 3rd cause suddenly it was told from the POV of the protagonist’s little brother? And I couldn’t care less about him!

I should have abandoned Sevenwaters earlier too.. I liked the first 2 books, hated the third, liked the fourth and didn’t finish book 5. It’s kinda always the same story anyways. Just gets more annoying.

2. Rissi says:

Sometimes we have to let some of the books on our TBR, whether actual or a mental I-hope-to-read, go. I think I’ve tried to be more like this as a reader in recent years because there’s just too many books out there, and given our limited time to read, prioritizing is the way to go…! 😀 Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland.

3. Jenna @ Falling Letters says:

I see other commenters have already encouraged you to read Down Among the Sticks and Bones, so I will join their chorus 😉 The murder mystery was also my least favourite part of Every Heart but if you liked other aspects of the writing/setting/characters/premise, I recommend giving Down Among a shot. Every other book in the series is essentially a standalone fantasy, where you follow one character as they visit their secondary world, before they arrive at the home.

I was a bit surprised as well that Sea Witch had a sequel. I debated about reading it but since it’s been almost a year and I haven’t even made an effort, I doubt I will. I don’t think it was necessary and I also really don’t like the cover for some reason.

Yeah, I don’t think it needs a sequel at all! It actually annoys me a little that it’s being called a duology when Sea Witch was never originally marketed as the first book in a duology. Maybe I’m just a grump, but I don’t think it really counts as a duology if the author just happens to write a sequel to a book that was already perfectly wrapped-up.

5. Emer @alittlehazebookblog says:

I’m not going to read The Damned either. The Beautiful was only an okay read for me. But I must confess I’m curious about Sea Witch Rising. Sea Witch wasn’t great…but it had this addictive quality to it that makes me wonder what the sequel will be like. Plus I did that thing where I bought the sequel before I’d read the first book so I suppose I should read it because I own it lol 😂😂😂

6. Jordan Rose says:

Down Among the Sticks and Stones was SO much better than and fairly different from Every Heart a Doorway, so if I’m encouraging you to keep going with any, it’d be that one! 🙂
    I never got around to reading A Winter’s Promise itself because I heard so many less than positive things about it, haha. I didn’t care for The Gilded Wolves, but I still read an ARC I got of The Silvered Serpents and I think it had a lot of the same issues as The Gilded Wolves, so I’d say you’re probably right to not continue that one.

7. Angela says:

I haven’t read any of these, but I have a super bad habit of starting fantasy series and not continuing with them. They just feel like they get longer and longer and the books drag.

8. Brooke Lorren says:

I’m probably not going to read Sea Witch Rising either (although I never say never). Gilded Wolves was just okay for me, so the sequel is also not in my TBR lottery. I’ll probably read The Damned at some point, but I won’t pre-order it and it may take me a while to get to it.

9. acquadimore says:

I loved The Beautiful but Pippa/Odette needs to happen in the sequels that’s just a fact
    Also the feeling of a great first book followed by a boring/weak/all-around-terrible sequels really is the worst. Ruined so many series for me.
    Great list!

I haven’t read Gilded Wolves yet but I don’t know why, I have a feeling that I might not jam with it (I hope I’m wrong though) lol I’m also waffling on reading Every Heart A Doorway ever since I got the physical copy (I’m a nutter 😂) but I’ll finally be picking it up it as part of a group read soon so … let’s see how I go with it! 🤞🏽

11. czai says:

I’ve read so many praises on Seanan McGuire’s Every Heart a Doorway series so I’m sorry that it didn’t work out for you. I’ll still probably give it a try though but not any time soon.

12. Greg says:

I’ve had a little trouble with Juliet Marillier- everyone seems to love her stuff but I struggled a bit. The Wayward children series is another one I’ve debated starting- I’ve liked some of her books and others not so much, so I’m conflicted!

I don’t think Juliet Marillier’s work is for everyone – it’s very slow-moving and, from what I’ve read so far, quite romance-focused – and that’s fine! There are some really popular authors, like Marie Lu, that don’t work for me – if we all loved the same things, the book blogging community would be very boring. 🙂

13. May @ Forever and Everly says:

oh, i’m so sorry to hear that the gilded wolves didn’t work for you! i loved it and i’m really excited to read the sequel, but i definitely get that it wasn’t a book for everyone ❤ and god, i shouldn't have continued the wayward children series because i really didn't love the first book, but it started getting slightly better with each installment only for the fifth book to be absolutely horrible!