#WyrdAndWonder Top Ten Tuesday | Fantasy Food

I’m taking part in Wyrd & Wonder throughout May, so all of my TTT posts this month will have a fantasy bent – which I guess isn’t all that different to how it usually is!

This week’s theme is ‘Things I’d Have at My Bookish Party’, so I’m going to talk about some of the food from various fantasy novels, films and shows I’d want on my buffet table. These are all sweet snacks, because I have an extreme sweet tooth!

Sansa’s lemon cakes from Game of Thrones

sansa

Lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourite, and the lemon cakes Sansa loves always looked delicious. Sorry Sansa, I’d eat all of them!

Vasya’s honeycakes from The Bear and the Nightingale

medovik

I saw Katherine Arden mention medovik as an inspiration for the honeycakes that Vasya is constantly stealing from the kitchen. I can’t blame her – I think I’d steal one or two, too…

Alexia’s treacle tart from the Parasol Protectorate series

treacletart
Β© BBC Food

I don’t think I’ve ever actually had treacle tart – I can’t say the name sounds particularly appetising to me – but Alexia loves it and, like me, she mainly goes to parties for the food.

The Three Broomsticks’ Butterbeer from the Harry Potter series

butterbeer

We need something to wash all that cake down with at this party, and butterbeer is something I’ve always wanted to try!

Edmund’s Turkish Delight from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

edmund

Sadly, I don’t like Turkish Delight – it tastes like soap – and when I was little I expected it to be amazing considering Edmund sold out his family for it. I know plenty of people do like it, though, so I’d best include some on the table!

The Prancing Pony’s blackberry tart from The Lord of the Rings

blackberry tart
Β© Ficticiously Delicious

Hobbits know how to have pub grub, and after a roast dinner or a stew there’s no better way to end a meal on a winter’s day than with a pudding like a blackberry tart. My mouth’s watering just thinking about it.

The Grey Stuff from Beauty and the Beast

batbgreystuff

Apparently you can ask to try ‘the grey stuff’ at the Be Our Guest restaurant in Disneyworld. I desperately want to go.

Nina’s waffles from Six of Crows

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Considering Ketterdam is based on Amsterdam, I picture Nina’s waffles as something similar to Dutch stroopwafels. Sadly I didn’t try these when I was in Amsterdam, so that’s something I need to go back and do!

The peach from Labryinth

labyrinth

I don’t care if it’s drugged – that peach got Sarah a dance at a ball with the Goblin King, and I want in!

Uncle Iroh’s tea from Avatar: The Last Airbender

iroh

It’s time for me to admit my shameful secret: I’m a Brit who doesn’t like tea. That’s right, we do exist! I’m not a fan of hot drinks in general (although I do love mint hot chocolate in the winter) but I would definitely sit down and share a pot of tea with Uncle Iroh.

63 thoughts on “#WyrdAndWonder Top Ten Tuesday | Fantasy Food

All of these sound delicious, except Turkish Delight. I agree that it’s disappointing that Edmund betrayed his family for such treats. Yuck! XD

I love the idea that Nina is eating Stroopwafels. I love those! πŸ™‚

2. imyril says:

I love lemon cakes and turkish delight (although I still question Sansa and Edmund’s priorities in sweets over family, tch) but stroopwafels are an absolute delight – especially if you balance them on your mug to let your hot drink steam through them to soften them up a bit. There’s a Welsh company that makes chocolate dipped stroopwafels (or toffee waffles as they call them) which are gorgeous although they might raise a few eyebrows back home in Holland πŸ™‚

3. Marina_Books of Magic says:

Oh no, you need to go back to Amsterdam and eat some stroopwafels! When I was there I only ate stroopwafels, cheese and french fries lol. xD Also, maybe you haven’t tried the good Turkish delight? πŸ™‚ It’s popular in my area, and I know I’ve tasted some amazing ones, and some which resembled soap yuck. xD Amazing choices, I’d love to try all of these as I’m a sugar addict, but especially lemon cakes! πŸ™‚

4. Time for tales and tea says:

Nice post! It gets me all hungry πŸ˜‹ I live in the Netherlands and stroopwafels are among my favourite cookies. They are definitively worth a try! I haven’t read Six of Crows, though.

I once found a receipe for butterbeer on the internet. It tasted pretty good, but I would love to try the real stuff.

5. Sammie @ The Bookwyrm's Den says:

I felt the same way about Wyrd & Wonder. xD I was like … all my stuff this month will be with a fantasy bent … like they normally are … oh. Heh, ah well. It’s still fun to participate in things!

I love the food theme, but ugh, it makes me so hungry. Those honeycakes sound absolutely DELICIOUS. Can I also put in an order for one of those peaches? I don’t even *like* peaches, but you know what? If it gets me a dance with the Goblin King, it’d be worth it. πŸ˜‰

6. Davida Chazan says:

I don’t care for Turkish Delight but stroopwafels… they ARE good. Mind you, they’re really sweet, so you’d want to get the butter ones and not the honey ones which will put you into a diabetic coma if you have more than one! Even so, one is enough, even for someone with a sweet tooth like me. Great post.

Omg… It was a bad idea to read this as I’m sat in bed getting ready to sleep! My mouth is watering thinking about all these foods 🀀 Can I be invited to this party with these amazing foods please?! Haha great post!

8. Emer @alittlehazebookblog says:

Omg JARETH 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍 I love Bowie so much. ….Emer be less distracted by your hormones…. TURKISH DELIGHT! YES. IT IS DISGUSTING!! AND EDMUND JUST SOLD HIS SOUL FOR IT BASICALLY! I could never understand it as a child. Probably one of the reasons I wasn’t a fan of the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe. Was like well this is clearly TOO fantastical. I’ll believe in the wardrobe but not the Turkish delight πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Hahaha “I’ll believe in the wardrobe but not the Turkish delight” basically sums up my relationship with The Chronicles of Narnia, too. I know he’s a child, but surely even a child would ask for something more than Turkish Delight and a hot chocolate when he’s sat there with a witch who can give him pretty much anything? Oh Edmund, you fool. He was always one of my favourite Pevensie kids, though, simply because he’s not perfect!