Top Ten Tuesday | Books I wish I’d read as a child

This week’s theme is ‘Books I Wish I Had Read As a Child’! I’ve gone for a mixture; below are some books I wish I’d read as a child, and others I wish I’d read in my teens, and while I have read some of them there are others that I still haven’t read. Let me know down below if you think I should!

Gaslight by Eloise Williams: This MG novel was released back in 2017, but I wish it had been around when I was a child! Not only because I love my historical fiction, but because it’s set in Cardiff and, as I spent some of my childhood in Wales, I would have loved seeing a setting that I recognised.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery: I hear nothing but praise for this classic, but it was never one I ever picked up during my childhood and, even though I own this gorgeous Puffin in Bloom edition, I’ve been hesitant to pick it up in case I don’t enjoy it as much as I could as an adult. I do want to watch the Netflix adaptation, though, so it’s time I read it!

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman: I tried reading this trilogy several times when I was younger, but for whatever reason I’ve never been able to get past that first section in Oxford. So many people love this series, though, and I sometimes feel quite sad that it wasn’t part of my childhood.

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket: Another beloved children’s series, and one that, for whatever reason, just never interested me as a child. This is another one that so many people have read, though, that I kind of wish I’d read it, too.

Animorphs by K.A. Applegate: To be honest I think the pretty hideous covers are what never had me reaching for these books whenever I saw them in the library, but this letter from Applegate really makes me wish this series had been a part of my childhood.

The Raven and the Reindeer by T. Kingfisher: I wish this book had been around in my teens simply because I love how it dismantles internalised misogyny – I could have used some of that when I was a baby feminist who was still learning how to be a good feminist.

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers: Another one I wish I’d been able to read when I was actually a child, simply because a series about a girl who can see and break Egyptian curses is the kind of series I would have loved.

The Magicians’ Guild by Trudi Canavan: I still haven’t read this classic fantasy novel, but I have a feeling that when I do eventually get around to reading it I’ll have wished I’d read it in my teens when I hadn’t read as much high fantasy as I have now.

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder: I gave this book 5 stars when I read it in my early 20s, and I did enjoy it, but looking back it’s definitely not a 5 star book and Snyder’s work in general feels like the kind of novels I’d’ve loved as a teenager but find a little samey now.

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli: I needed Molly when I was a teenager! I’m so glad teenagers today have this novel, because finding plus size girls who weren’t the butt of the joke in fiction when I was a teenager was very difficult.

57 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Books I wish I’d read as a child

I love Anne of Green Gables. I read the first book as a child, but I never read the rest of the series until I was older because I was afraid they’d be boring. But I ADORED them when I did read them, so hopefully you’ll enjoy the first book even if you aren’t a kid. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ooh, I love seeing Trudi Canavan on your list! I think that was really my first foray into fantasy when I was doing my MA and I randomly stumbled across it at the public library. It was amazing and sent me spinning down a fantasy hole that I never really crawled out of ๐Ÿ˜€ I definitely would’ve enjoyed reading it in high school! Great list โค

3. Emer @alittlehazebookblog says:

Itโ€™s a strange one going back to childhood books as an adult. I think reading contemporary childrenโ€™s books as an adult is pretty okay… but trying to read childhood classics can always be a bit more hit and miss. Because as an adult you see the problematic and / or narrow viewpoints of the era when the book was written that as a child you would have glossed over. Iโ€™m thinking about Little Women in particular. That is my favourite childhood book. I adored it. Read it a bazillion times over… but rereading it as an adult some years ago made me cringe. I found it rather puritanical and while I still loved the characters and the essence of the story, there were just some things that didnโ€™t sit so well with me. I wonโ€™t say for fear of spoilers. So I do wonder what reading Anne of Green Gables (from your list) as an adult would be like. I read the entire series as a little girl but have forgotten it almost entirely. But I donโ€™t think Iโ€™m moved to ever return to it, because right now itโ€™s a happy blur in my memory. โ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธ

Anne of Green Gables is one I definitely still want to try! I know how you feel – I love The Secret Garden, but I read it at university and it’s quite shocking how much they talk about Mary being horrid and ‘yellow-skinned’ because she’s come back to England from India. I shouldn’t be surprised, though, considering it was published in the Edwardian era!

4. Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books says:

I didn’t read Animorphs when I was growing up because of the bookcovers either!! They were weird looking. BUT I did read the letter you linked to and I’ve always had respect for Katherine Applegate and read many of her other books. She definitely stuck to her guns there!! Props!

Great list!

5. Lisa says:

I wish I’d read Anne of Green Gables in my childhood too! I finally read the books just last year, and loved them! I love the His Dark Materials books, but the first half or so of Golden Compass is really difficult to get past. I read that one for the first time when my daughter was in middle school, and we read it together, which was great! I wonder if I would have liked the Lemony Snicket books as a child. I tried reading them as an adult, and I just couldn’t stand certain aspects of the plot. Oh well.

1. Lisa says:

When I read Anne, I thought I’d just read the first book so I could see what I’d been missing (and also, I think, to check off a box on a reading challenge.) Well, I ended up reading all eight books, so I’d say that’s a win!

6. LairOfBooks says:

His Dark Materials & A Series Of Unfortunate Events are two that I wish Iโ€™d read when I was a child. Iโ€™ve played with the idea of ordering the Dark Material books but havenโ€™t committed for some reason. I did however read Anne of Green Gables very young & LOVED it so much Iโ€™m scared to reread it & maybe change my mind ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚ the Puffin editions are GORGE! I hope you enjoy this read when you get around to it ๐Ÿ’œ

7. lydiaschoch says:

You should know that the Netflix adaptation of Anne of Green Gables is quite different from the original! Still a good story, but I’d recommend trying not to compare them in any way. ๐Ÿ™‚

My TTT .