Top Ten Tuesday | Books I should talk about more

This week’s theme is ‘Books I Enjoyed but Rarely Talk About’, which is a great theme for us book bloggers because I think we’re all guilty of gushing about the same books. And that’s great! There are books I’ve gone out and bought, read and loved because I’ve seen another blogger rave about them, but there are plenty of books I’ve loved that I haven’t shouted about as much as they deserve.

Some of these are books from my childhood and teens that I still often think about while some are books I was assigned to read at uni and really enjoyed, and some are just books I’ve read for pure enjoyment and haven’t talked about enough.

Lola Rose by Jacqueline Wilson: This is a childhood favourite of mine that I read and re-read over and over again, as I always did with Jacqueline Wilson’s books, and I still think about it.

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins: One of my favourite classics and the first English-language detective novel. I read this book for uni and loved it.

The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown: This is another book I read while I was at uni, after I found it in a charity shop, and it’s the ultimate traditional fantasy story. I honestly don’t know if I’d like it as much if I read it again now, but it was just what I needed when I read it.

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn: This is another book I read when I was younger and still think about. At times it’s brutal, but I loved it.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman: My second favourite Gaiman novel, after The Graveyard Book, but I don’t think I ever really talk about this one.

Skellig by David Almond: This was the first book I had to read for secondary school, and it’s a modern children’s classic here in the UK. It’s such a good book.

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks: Another book I ended up reading for school, and one I really enjoyed. I don’t think any novel has quite captured the horror of the First World War like this one.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke; translated by Anthea Bell: I loved this series when I was younger! I actually enjoyed the sequels even more, mainly because Violante is my favourite character, but I have such a soft spot for this first book and I’m still sad the film adaptation was rubbish.

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie: This is another book I had to read for uni and I loved it. It’s the ultimate story about stories.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver: I really didn’t like the other books in this trilogy but, as a standalone, this book is a wonderful YA dystopian novel.

24 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Books I should talk about more

1. Rissi says:

At one time I owned “Delirium” but I may have unhauled it a while back. At this point, who can remember!? 😉 Glad to know it’s a good read though – if I still own it, I’ll have to dig it out to take a second look. Thanks for visiting my post on this week’s topic. Appreciate it.

I enjoyed Delirium, too, but I never finished the series. The sequel disappointed me so much that I didn’t even bother to read book three. Oops? I wish it had been a standalone too.

I also never read Inkheart, which everybody tells me is crazy. I think I started it and never finished it. Oops again? XD

American Gods is actually a good one that I loved but don’t talk about often either. I think it’s because so many people have commented hating the book (but loved the show) and I never found anyone who enjoyed it as much as me (plus I never watched the show) 😂 Great list, Jess!

4. Brooke Lorren says:

I haven’t read any of these yet but love the recommendations. Jacqueline Wilson has written a lot of books! I read one book by her a year, maybe two ago and it was just okay, but it might have been the subject matter, because the writing was good.

5. Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books says:

Ha! I just read Delirium for the first time in December this past year!! I really liked it, but it was a bit more instalove than I was prepared for. I’ve heard a lot of people didn’t like the rest of the series… and I’m wondering if I would too because I can kind of see where it’s going and 😦

6. Lisa says:

It’s so interesting how the books we read when we’re young stay with us and make such a long-lasting impact! I do need to read The Moonstone and Birdsong. Great list!

7. Louise says:

Skellig was the first book I read for secondary school too! David Almond is a sort of local author for me so I think he’s pretty popular with teachers here. And Jacqueline Wilson was my favourite author when I was little, but I don’t think I’ve read Lola Rose.

8. acquadimore says:

Great list! I haven’t heard of most of these, and I agree with what you say about The Unlikely Ones – I also read a lot of kind of unknown traditional high fantasy that was trope-y and I loved all of it, but probably really wouldn’t if I read it now for the first time. Different books for different times of one’s life!