Top Ten Tuesday | Yas (scream) queen (a.k.a. The best horror heroines)

This week’s theme is a genre freebie, so I’ve decided to focus on a genre I’ve been slowly but surely getting more and more into: horror. I had a look through some of the horror books I’ve read and some of the horror films and shows I’ve watched and picked my ten favourite heroines!

Evie O’Neill from The Diviners by Libba Bray: I don’t know about the rest of the series, but The Diviners is definitely a book that fits into the horror genre as well as historical fiction and fantasy. It’s not scary, but it’s certainly spooky and I love Evie a lot. She doesn’t always make the best decisions, but she’s ultimately good at her core and I have a real soft spot for her.

Atl from Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: Atl is another disaster child – more of an anti-heroine, in many ways – but you can’t help rooting for her.

Georgia Mason from Feed by Mira Grant: Oh Georgia, will I ever love a sci-fi/horror heroine as much as I love you? Georgia is a journalist and blogger who believes in the truth, however ugly it is, with her whole heart, and I love how much she loves her work. I adore Georgia, and I’m still not over this book.

Vic McQueen from NOS4R2 by Joe Hill: Vic is such a mess, and I love her. She’s a true survivor who understands what it means to have to survive each day at a time, and she doesn’t give up.

Jane McKeene from Dread Nation by Justina Ireland: Jane is such a fun heroine to follow. I love her attitude and her sense of humour, and I love how much of an unreliable narrator she is.

Beverly Marsh from IT: Chapter One

beverly

I haven’t read IT and I have no interest in reading it so I can’t comment on Beverly in the books, but Beverly in this film is wonderful. She’s brave and tough without losing any of her femininity, and I love how loyal she is.

Seo-bi from Kingdom

seo-bi

One of the main reasons Seo-bi is on this list is for her expressions. Whenever she’s dealing with idiots (which, unfortunately, is often) her face is a picture and I love her. She’s also incredibly compassionate and brave, and when something needs to be done she’s the first to volunteer – no matter how dangerous the situation might be.

Adelaide Wilson from Us

adelaide

I loved this film and Lupita Nyong’o was amazing throughout it. Adelaide is fiercely protective of her children, and she’s not afraid to do pretty much anything to keep her family safe.

Clarice Starling from The Silence of the Lambs

clarice

I have read The Silence of the Lambs, but I much prefer the film and Jodie Foster’s portrayal of Clarice is iconic. More than anything, Clarice wants justice to be served and she lets a cannibalistic serial killer into her inner thoughts if it means she can solve a case. That’s dedication.

Ellen Ripley from Alien

ripley

If you look up ‘badass’ in the dictionary, you’ll find a picture of Ripley. This woman is determined not to be alien chow, and if I was ever stranded in space I’d want Ripley there with me.

44 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Yas (scream) queen (a.k.a. The best horror heroines)

I’m not a fan of the horror genre, but I also haven’t read a lot of it. (I can’t watch horror movies or I’l have nightmares! I have nightmares from movies that aren’t even horror. XD) But I’ve read Dread Nation and I loved it and Jane. πŸ™‚

I’ve been told to read The Diviners, but I’m worried about it being too spooky for me. XD

You’re not alone! I love horror but I also hate horror, and I don’t tend to watch many horror films because I just won’t sleep.

I think you’d enjoy The Diviners! It is spooky, but there’s so much more to it and the way Bray brings 1920s New York to life is fantastic.

2. Brooke Lorren says:

I didn’t know some of these were horror.

I did speculative fiction with history in it. Funny, I’ve never read or watched It, but I did read 11/22/63 recently, and I’m pretty sure Beverly is in that book. The main character meets a girl named Beverly in one scene and they talk about the killer clown that had been terrorizing the town in the past.

Dread Nation, Feed and The Diviners are all books I think you could definitely get through if you’re nervous around horror! Feed and Dread Nation are both zombie novels, but neither of them treat the subject like a lot of horror films do.

I am not a horror girl. Haha I am way too chicken most of the time although oddly enough I have quite a few of the books you mentioned on my TBR (except for IT, that’s a forever hard pass πŸ˜‚)! The characters you mentioned are vaguely familiar but I’ve heard of the shows/movies for sure! Great take on the freebie, Jess πŸ™‚

Thanks Dini! Dread Nation, Feed and The Diviners are three I’d definitely recommend if you’re a bit nervous around horror – I can promise that none of them will make you want to sleep with your light on. πŸ™‚

4. conniedawnb says:

I LOVE Georgia Mason, even just seeing her name makes me weirdly giddy, I absolutely love FEED! I love this list, I’ve been throwing myself into horror completely since the start of 2020 and I’ve been loving it ^.^

5. lydiaschoch says:

Feed was an amazing story, and I loved Georgia as well.

Thanks for stopping by my post already today! Wow, you get an early start on Tuesdays. πŸ™‚

6. evelynreads1 says:

I wouldn’t say Horror is a genre for me, but I’m currently reading The girl in read, which I think is described as horror. And I’m actually quite liking it!
    I do really want to read Dread nation, that one sounds interesting!

My post!

7. Louise β˜† says:

YAAS RIPLEY 😍 I’m already a grownup but I want to be Sigourney Weaver when I grow up. And I love Atl from Certain Dark Things. She’s so different from vampires I’ve seen before and that makes her so cool.