I love taking part in Cosy Reading Night. It’s the perfect excuse to get comfortable, get some snacks and chill out with some books for three hours. What more can a book lover want?
I’m currently reading City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett and I’d like to get more of it read this weekend, so I’ll likely read some of that tonight, but I actually have a specific challenge I’d like to give myself tonight.
The winners of the Hugo Awards are being announced tomorrow. Worldcon is actually on in Dublin right now and I’m so sad I couldn’t afford to go this year when it’s practically next door! So many authors I love are there, but oh well.
If it’s anything like last year, I believe the Hugo Awards will be shown on YouTube – I’m not sure if they’ll be livestreamed or filmed and uploaded later – and I’ll definitely be tuning in. Spinning Silver, Trail of Lightning, Record of a Spaceborn Few and The Calculating Stars are all nominated for Best Novel, as well as Space Opera and Revenant Gun which I haven’t read, so I’d love to see which book wins.
Something I manage to neglect every year, though, are the short stories and novelettes that are nominated, and I don’t know why I don’t make more of an effort to read them? They’re all* available online and free to read and they’re clearly excellent, because they’ve been nominated for a bloody Hugo!
(*One of the novelettes has an excerpt available online, but is available to buy in full – I picked up a copy for my kindle.)
Last night I read one of the short stories and one of the novelettes and loved them both, and that gave me an idea for this Cosy Reading Night: I want to read all of the shortlisted short stories and novelettes and pick my personal favourites ahead of the award show.
I’ve listed all 12 below with links to them so you can check them out, too – the two with lines through them are the two I’ve read!
- “If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again,” by Zen Cho (B&N Sci-Fi and Fantasy Blog, 29 November 2018)
- “The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections,” by Tina Connolly (Tor.com, 11 July 2018)
- “Nine Last Days on Planet Earth,” by Daryl Gregory (Tor.com, 19 September 2018)
- The Only Harmless Great Thing, by Brooke Bolander (Tor.com publishing) (This is an excerpt)
“The Thing About Ghost Stories,” by Naomi Kritzer (Uncanny Magazine 25, November-December 2018)
- “When We Were Starless,” by Simone Heller (Clarkesworld 145, October 2018)
- “The Court Magician,” by Sarah Pinsker (Lightspeed, January 2018)
- “The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society,” by T. Kingfisher (Uncanny Magazine 25, November-December 2018)
- “The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington,” by P. Djèlí Clark (Fireside Magazine, February 2018)
- “STET,” by Sarah Gailey (Fireside Magazine, October 2018)
- “The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat,” by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine 23, July-August 2018)
“A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies,” by Alix E. Harrow (Apex Magazine, February 2018)