#wyrdandwonder 2019 | Sign-Up and TBR

ww-2019-dragon-banner-mixed-case

It’s almost time for Wyrd & Wonder! This May, imyril @ There’s Always Room for One More, Lisa @ Dear Geek Place and Jorie @ Jorie Loves a Story are returning to host a month of celebrating fantasy.

Sadly I missed out on Wyrd & Wonder last year because I didn’t discover it until too late, but this year I want to get involved after falling back in love with high fantasy in 2018. I’m hoping to read lots of fantasy, which I’ve already been having a great time with this year, and to post some reviews and some discussion posts.

I don’t tend to give myself TBRs, aside from the TBRs I create for readathons (and usually stray from anyway), but I have some reading to do to catch up on the Booktube SFF Awards, I have one particular fantasy book that I’m craving to dip my toes into and I’m participating in the Year of the Asian Reading Challenge and want to read some of the Asian-inspired fantasy on my shelves.

So, without further ado, on with my TBR!

40381319

The big one that I’d love to get to in May is Samantha Shannon’s The Priory of the Orange Tree. It’s epic, women-led fantasy with an f/f romance and I’ve seen nothing but rave reviews. Usually when a book’s this hyped I’d be nervous, but I feel in my bones that I’m going to love this book and I can’t wait to read it.

bookoftheancestor

I only have one book left to read in the Fantasy category of this year’s Booktube SFF Awards, Grey Sister, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to get to Red Sister and Grey Sister in May. Once I get into this series I’m sure I’ll really enjoy it, I just need to get past these first few chapters of Red Sister! I also need to catch up on my reading for the other categories I’m reading this year: Science Fiction, Debut and YA.

cobabtpwmon

Naturally I’m not going to include the books on the Science Fiction shortlist on my TBR for a fantasy readathon (although I will still be trying to read those books in May, so wish me luck), but there are three fantasy books I still need to read: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi, The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang and Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor.

Muse of Nightmares was on my O.W.Ls TBR and I thought I’d pre-ordered it. Turns out I hadn’t, so I wasn’t able to read it in April like I’d hoped!

dotcgopafjc

If I can fit anything else into what’s already an incredibly ambitious TBR, I’d love to cross some of these Asian-inspired fantasy novels off my TBR, too: Descendant of the Crane by Joan He, Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan and Jade City by Fonda Lee. I’ve heard great things about all three of them!

Am I going to read all of these? Of course not! But if I can cross a couple off my TBR during Wyrd & Wonder I’ll be a happy bunny. I’d really like to get the Booktube SFF Awards books read so I can vote in the Fantasy, Debut and YA categories having read all of the books that have been nominated and watch the liveshow without fear of any spoilers, and I really want to read The Priory of the Orange Tree asap because I think it could be a new favourite, and I want to read so much more Asian-inspired fantasy this year and there are so many books on my TBR that I think I’ll love.

Are you taking part in Wyrd & Wonder? What are you planning to read in May?

18 thoughts on “#wyrdandwonder 2019 | Sign-Up and TBR

1. Lucie @ Wishes and Pages says:

Oh my, I didn’t know about this readathon, but now I have to check it out because a readathon all about fantasy? YES PLEASE. I hope you’ll love The Priory of the Orange Tree, it’s my favourite book of the year so far (sorry for adding to the hype, haha). Children of Blood and Bone is amazing as well and I’m really hoping to get to The Poppy War soon! I’m such in a fantasy mood lately, I’m currently reading A Storm of Swords and I’m planning on (finally) getting to Daughter of the Forest this month! πŸ™‚

Yay, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed The Priory of the Orange Tree and Children of Blood and Bone. πŸ™‚ I hope you enjoy Daughter of the Forest – it’s one of the best books I’ve read so far this year!

2. imyril says:

That’s a great list to pick and choose from! Annemieke has totally talked me into trying Red Sister (in due course; not going to squeeze it in for Wyrd and Wonder) and I’m SO excited to read Priory of the Orange Tree later this year (…but not while I’ve got a project on at work that is eating my hours and my brain and will devour any chance of remembering the first 500 pages of such a doorstop by the time I reach the last 500 pages…)

…which is fab, because it means if you read them first I get to see what you think before I dive in πŸ˜‰

On which note: The Poppy War. Hands-down the best fantasy novel of last year (in my opinion) – in the face of some stiff opposition. Just make sure you’ve got something warm and fuzzy on hand to follow it up with!

Ahhh, so glad you enjoyed it! I know it’s going to be absolutely harrowing to read, but I’m so looking forward to checking it out. I hope you enjoy Red Sister and The Priory of the Orange Tree when you do get to them. πŸ™‚

Thank you! I’m definitely enjoying it much more now as an audiobook and I’m starting to feel more taken in by the world. πŸ˜€

3. Jorie says:

Hallo, Hallo Jess,

Although, I’m not officially disclosing what my TBR is for #WyrdAndWonder til the 1st of May, I can tell you you’ve tapped onto one of the BIG novels of Fantasy I’ll be reading alongside you!! (hint, hint) I was so gobsmacked my library had already purchased two copies of this novel – as I had originally felt I would have to order a copy myself! I wanted to read the Crane novel, too but I completely forgot to request it for purchase! lol I’ll have to make amends and request it within the first week or so of May as I’m maxed out for April!

I’ve been dearly excited about this year’s event for a long, long time — I am intending to take a full literary holiday into the fantastical realms – I honestly can’t wait!!

Thanks for linking to our blogs – I’ll be more active this year on both Twitter, my blog and visiting everyone in the book blogosphere who is participating. Something I couldn’t quite do last year and this year, one of the blessings is not having the pollen kick me in the head and not having my migraines flaring at the same time! πŸ™‚

Let’s rock this #WyrdAndWonder!!

4. Realms of My Mind says:

Love this list! Red Sister and Jade City are on my Wyrd and Wonder TBR too! I really enjoyed Descendant of the Crane and Girls of Paper and Fire, and The Poppy War is on my TBR for June (too many other good books on my list for May).

5. Lisa (@deargeekplace) says:

The Priory of the Orange Tree looks and sounds absolutely amazing, and even though it’s a massive tome I am very eager to get my hands on it…

Also you’ve reminded me that I’ve had Strange The Dreamer on my shelf for ages… Maybe I can squeeze that in this month…!

I really enjoyed Strange the Dreamer! I recommend the audiobook, Steve West’s narration is amazing, but it is one of those books that I found I needed to be patient with. It takes a little while to lay the foundations, but once the plot really takes off I couldn’t put it down. πŸ˜€