Top Ten Tuesday | My Spring 2019 TBR!

This week’s theme is all about the books on our spring TBR. Usually I do some kind of theme, but this year I’ve just decided to go for the books I’m in the mood to read!

I’ve decided not to include the books I’m reading for this year’s Booktube SFF Awards because you’re probably going to see me talk about a bunch of them enough as it is, though some of these books you may have already seen on my O.W.Ls Readathon TBR.

The Familiars by Stacey Halls: I’m never going to turn down a book about the Pendle Witch Trials, the most famous witch trials in English history and a history very close to my heart as I went to university in Lancaster, where the trials occurred. It’s a harrowing true story of how the testimony of a nine year old girl led to the executions of ten people, three of whom were from her own family, and I’m looking forward to seeing Halls’ take on the story.

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier: I’ve been saving this book for spring and I’m not 100% sure why, for some reason I’ve always had it in my head that spring would be the best time to read it. I’ve heard brilliant things about Juliet Marillier, and particularly about this book, so I’m excited to read it.

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon: I have a feeling this book could be a new all-time favourite, it’s just such a beast that it’s intimidating, but I’d really, really like to cross it off my TBR this spring.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch: It’s about time I got to this book, especially considering my love of Italian-inspired settings and my love for fantasy featuring thieves.

Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman: This historical fiction novel about Joan, Lady of Wales has been on my TBR for so long and it’s another one I’ve always thought of as a spring book for some reason. It’s about time I got to it!

My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland: This is actually a re-read for me. I read the first three books in this urban fantasy series back in 2015 and didn’t continue, despite really enjoying the books, so this year I’m planning to re-read the first three books and read the following three books for the first time.

The Wicked King by Holly Black: I enjoyed The Cruel Prince a lot more than I expected to, so I’m looking forward to getting to the sequel this spring!

The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi: More books about thieves and heists, which I’ve been craving since falling in love with Six of Crows last year. I’ve heard brilliant things about this book so far so I can’t wait to read it at last, and that cover screams spring to me.

Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan: I still haven’t read this book and I keep meaning to because, like The Priory of the Orange Tree, it has such potential to be a new all-time favourite.

Thornbound by Stephanie Burgis: I really enjoyed Snowspelled in December so I’ve been looking forward to this sequel and I’ve been saving it for the spring. Give me a book with plants or trees on the cover or in the title and I immediately think of spring.

52 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | My Spring 2019 TBR!

1. Marie says:

Ahh what a great TBR! I have read The Gilded Wolves and really liked it, I hope you will, too! πŸ˜€
    I can’t wait to read Girls of Paper and Fire, I hope to get to this book sometime soon, I’ve only heard incredible things about it so far.
    Happy reading! πŸ˜€

2. CG @ Paper Fury says:

Oh the cover for The Familiars is gorgeous but that premise sounds particularly harrowing…I’m curious about it though. And LOVED Lies of Locke Lamora! It must be one of my all time ever favourites.😍

3. Greg says:

Wow there’s a lot of great picks here. I love the sound of The Familiars and The Priory, and I still need to read cruel Prince too. *sigh* I hope these all turn out fabulous for you!

4. Lisa says:

I’m really eager to start the Priory of the Orange Tree! I’m holding off until a trip I have coming up soon. It’s so big — a little daunting to think about starting it. I love that you included older books. I see a few here I really do need to read, like Daughters of the Forest and Locke Lamora. Great list!

Thanks, Lisa! Priory is definitely a beast, but I’m so excited for an epic, standalone fantasy with women at the centre. I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

5. Helen says:

I hope you like Here Be Dragons. I’ve read a few of Sharon Penman’s books and loved them all. The Lies of Locke Lamora is on my TBR too – it sounds great, doesn’t it? Enjoy your spring reading! πŸ™‚

Thank you! I’ve heard such wonderful things about Penman’s novels that it’s about time I gave them a try, and I’m really looking forward to The Lies of Locke Lamora, too. πŸ˜€

6. Catherine says:

The Familiars sounds good, I know next to to nothing about English witch trials, but I loved the Crucible and that Elizabeth Gaskell one about the Salem ones! Hopefully Here be Dragons will be worth the wait – it’s already turned into a re-reader for me πŸ™‚

I’m glad you loved Here Be Dragons enough to want to read it more than once! The Pendle Witch Trials are fascinating, if you ever find yourself in Lancaster you must check out the castle.

Thank you! I hope you enjoy them all when you get to them, and I’m glad you enjoyed The Wicked King – I’ve heard nothing but good things about it so far. πŸ™‚

Thank you! Sorry to hear you didn’t like The Cruel Prince, but I can understand why it isn’t for everyone. πŸ™‚

It really is a beast, I’ve heard such good things about it, though, so I can’t wait to dive in. Thanks for stopping by! πŸ˜€

I don’t tend to read many zombie books either (although I’ve noticed I’ve enjoyed pretty much every zombie book I’ve tried!) but this series is so much fun. I definitely recommend giving it a try!