Top Ten Tuesday | Sequels I’m looking forward to reading!

This week’s theme is ‘Standalone Books That Need a Sequel’, but to be honest I’m the kind of reader who doesn’t want a standalone to have a sequel if it doesn’t need one.

I’ve gotten back into reading series over the past year, though, so today I thought I’d talk about some of the sequels I’m looking forward to reading!

Lamentation and Tombland by C.J. Sansom: Sansom brings the Tudor era so vividly to life in his Matthew Shardlake series, which is a series of historical crime novels, but I haven’t read the two latest books in the series. It’s about time I got on that!

The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman: I’m cheating a little here because I haven’t actually read The Invisible Library yet, but The Masked City is set in an alternate Venice and I love Italy so I really want to read this one this year.

Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan: I’m currently listening to the fourth book in this series, and then I’ll be moving on to this fifth and final book! I don’t feel ready to say goodbye to Isabella, but I’m still looking forward to this series finale.

Thornbound by Stephanie Burgis: I really enjoyed Snowspelled back in December and this second book has just been released, so I’m hoping to get to it soon!

Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor: I finished Strange the Dreamer last week and loved it so much more than I was expecting to! I can’t wait to get my hands on Muse of Nightmares, though sadly I need to wait for the publication of the paperback next month.

The Wicked King by Holly Black: The Cruel Prince is another book I didn’t expect to enjoy as much as I did so I’m really looking forward to The Wicked King! I do have a copy, but I’m saving it for a little while so I won’t have to wait as long for the third and final book.

Shorefall by Robert Jackson Bennett: Foundryside was my first read of 2019 and I loved it, so I can’t wait for the sequel! This is another Italian-inspired fantasy world and it was so much fun.

Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse: I liked Trail of Lightning a lot and I want more of this post-apocalyptic world inspired by First Nations mythology. This is another one that’s out next month!

A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire: Rosemary and Rue was a lot of fun and this is another urban fantasy series I’d really like to continue this year, so hopefully I’ll get to this one fairly soon!

27 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Sequels I’m looking forward to reading!

1. Rissi says:

I’ve heard CRAZY good things about Holly’s books, but haven’t read a single one by her. Maybe someday I’ll remedy this. Hope these all live up to your excitement, Jess – and thanks for visiting Finding Wonderland last week. πŸ™‚

Thanks, Rissi! The Cruel Prince is the first book by Holly Black I’ve enjoyed, but I liked it so much more than I was expecting to and I think the hype is deserved. It’s brutal and brilliant – I hope you enjoy her work when you pick it up! πŸ˜€

2. Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight says:

Great minds think alike! πŸ™‚ I need to read quite a few of these too tbh. I wasn’t going to read Wicked King, because I wasn’t a huge fan of TCP, but SO many people who didn’t love TCP encouraged me to read TWK so I guess I have to ha. I have Muse, but haven’t read it yet because I am a fail. And I NEED to read Trail of Lightning! That looks phenomenal! Hope these sequels are all awesome for you!

Trail of Lightning is so original, I hope you enjoy it! Sorry to hear you didn’t like TCP as much as you wanted to – it was a real pleasant surprise for me, so I’m hoping I like TWK just as much. I’m excited for Muse of Nightmares, but I also don’t trust Laini Taylor not to break my heart…

3. Lisa says:

I just couldn’t come up with anything for TTT this week — I really couldn’t think of stand-alones that I loved that needed sequels. Wish I’d tried your approach! I’m so excited for you to read more October Daye — the series gets better and better and better!

Thank you! Haha I have had to fight the urge to pick it up, but there’s always so much to read and so little time! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. πŸ™‚

I really liked Trail of Lightning, I can’t wait for more of this world and mythology – I hope you enjoy Storm of Locusts! πŸ˜€