Top Ten Tuesday | Best new (to me) authors of 2018

My list of favourite authors is very small because I can’t bring myself to call an author a favourite author unless I’ve read more than one book/series by them. J.K. Rowling, for example, isn’t one of my favourite authors because as much as I love the original Harry Potter series, I haven’t read any of her other books. So the authors on this list aren’t new favourites by any means, but they’re all authors I want to read more of after reading them for the first time in 2018.

So, in the order I read them, here are the best authors I read in 2018!

Marie Brennan: I tried reading A Natural History of Dragons a few years ago and couldn’t get into it, but last year I tried the audiobook and I ended up listening to the first and second books in that series and really enjoying them! I’m hoping to carry on with the series this year and I’d like to check out Midnight Never Come, too, because it’s the Tudor era + the fae and I love the Tudor era.

Eloise Williams: I feel like 2018 was the year of rediscovery for me. I rediscovered fantasy and series and I also read a few Middle Grade books, too. I didn’t love Gaslight but I did enjoy it, and it was so refreshing to read a novel set in Victorian era Cardiff rather than Victorian era London – I think Williams has a lot of potential as a Middle Grade author.

Joy McCullough: Blood Water Paint was one of my favourite books of 2018 and I can’t wait to read what McCullough brings out next.

Leigh Bardugo: All I’ve really done for the past year is talk about how much I love Six of Crows, so I can’t imagine any of you are surprised to see Bardugo on this list. She also just seems like a genuinely lovely person.

Emily Skrutskie: I had so much fun with Skrutskie’s The Abyss Surrounds Us duology in 2018, and if she continues to write f/f SFF then she’s definitely an author I’m going to read more of in future.

Sarah Moss: Moss is an author I’ve been meaning to read for a little while and 2018 was finally the year I checked her out when I read her new novella, Ghost Wall. She writes beautifully and I’m looking forward to reading more of her work.

Karen McManus: One of Us Is Lying was such a pleasant surprise for me in 2018, so the next time I’m in the mood for a YA Thriller McManus is the author I’ll be reaching for.

Stephanie Burgis: Burgis is another author I’ve been meaning to read for years and I finally checked her out when I read Snowspelled in December which ended up being one of my Top Ten Books of the year. She writes the kind of Fantasy of Manners I like, so I’m excited to read more from her this year.

Katrina Kendrick: This is kind of cheating because Katrina Kendrick is the Romance pseudonym of Elizabeth May, who I have read before, but she’s still made this list because she made me realise I do, in fact, like Historical Romance and it’s a genre I’ve been too snobby about for too long.

Effie Calvin: As you might have seen from my review, I didn’t love The Queen of Ieflaria as much as I hoped to but I loved Calvin’s worldbuilding and I was really excited to discover a new author who writes f/f fantasy so I’m planning to read more of Calvin’s work this year!

Which authors made your list this week?

28 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday | Best new (to me) authors of 2018

1. shanaqui says:

Ooh, I am so late in returning a comment here but! I had the exact same thing with Marie Brennan. The first book didn’t really capture me, and then I ended up such a huge fan of the whole series.

I think you’d enjoy Snowspelled! She incorporates a lot of world-building into a fairly short story, but it doesn’t take over the plot at all. πŸ™‚

2. CG @ Paper Fury says:

omg I LOVE Elizabeth May! She made my list this week too and I’m currently reading the second book in her Falconer series! I don’t really feel like I’ve tried historical romance before, but maybe I should?! She’s an excellent writer. 😍 I also ADORE Six of Crows *flails to see it on your list*

Ugh Six of Crows gave me so many feelings. I need to carry on with that trilogy! I actually have a copy of The Vanishing Throne from NetGalley that I still haven’t read because I’m the literal worst, so I need to get on that this year.

Everyone has different tastes! I think it’s one of those books where you have to love the characters and you have to love heist stories to love the book – I know a few people who aren’t big fans of heist stories didn’t enjoy the book all that much so you’re definitely not alone. πŸ™‚

3. Greg says:

I was going to try A Natural History of dragons too but had the same problem- had trouble getting into it. Maybe it’s time to try again! And Karen McManus- yes! I loved One Of Us Is Lying! Looking forward to reading her new one soon.

I’ll definitely be reading more McManus in future! I would recommend the Lady Trent audiobooks – the narrator does a really good job and I enjoyed listening to them far more than I enjoyed trying to read it.

Yes, it was just announced! I’m so excited but also a little nervous – I love those characters so much. Would definitely recommend reading Six of Crows; I adored it. πŸ˜€

I had so much fun with Six of Crows! I’m not enjoying the Grisha trilogy as much, not that I expected to, but I’m really excited for King of Scars. πŸ™‚